Fermenting 2.5 gallons in 5 gallon fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzlystate

Reaction score
My dad gave me a malt extract kit that he never used and it's for a 2.5 gallon batch, the question is can I ferment it in my 5 gallon secondary fermenter. I personally assume you can, it'd just take a while longer to push the gases out right? I've seen other threads about this but none of them really gave a straight forward answer... Thanks guys/gals! Cheers!

Ps first post!

The extra space won't hurt it so long as there's an airlock.

Be warned though remove the air lock for any reason and you will let in excessive oxygen that won't be pushed out quickly.

When you move to secondary be sure to have a proper sized carboy.

Arkwright said:
The extra space won't hurt it so long as there's an airlock.

Be warned though remove the air lock for any reason and you will let in excessive oxygen that won't be pushed out quickly.

When you move to secondary be sure to have a proper sized carboy.

Yeah I am most likely going to let it finish in the primary. I didn't mean to say secondary in my original post. So pretty much just wait a few weeks before taking the airlock off, right?

welcome! yeah go for it! guaranteed not to have a blowoff. if you don't rack the beer to a secondary, as many of us don't, then you have no problems at all

Pick up a little extra stuff (DME, hops, speciality grain) and make a 3 1/2 to 4 gallon batch.

Same work, more beer, better beer!

Thanks everyone for the speedy replies. I think I'm going to get some DME and make the batch larger.

Back