Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be leary of the vinegar part especially if there's any smell at all. Not sure I'd chance it knowing that I could get a new bucket and lid pretty cheap!

I say fill it with water and let it sit for a week. If you don't taste any off flavors after a week you're good to go.

You have nothing to lose but a few gallons of water.

I'd worry about the vinegar smell. For only a few dollars you can get a new fermenter bucket that will not smell of vinegar. It will last for years if you take care of it and that cost will be amortized over many batches of beer.

One of the benefits of having a bucket or conical is the ability to really clean out the innards as well. Feel for small, microscopic cuts in the inner plastic that might harbor bacteria and whatnot. Unless you have a kid that can reach in there, I'd just get a 6.5+ gall bucket to use as a fermenter.

I would splurge on a new primary fermenter, but keep that as a utility container and a secondary (for times when you need one).

Looks perfect as a no-chill?

I'd let it sit for a bit with water containing a bit of bicarbonate of soda, should sort the vinegar. Then bleach, then several changes of water, then Starsan and you should be good to go.

Thank you. Yes I thing I'll try it out after cleaning couple of times. I'm on a small budget. By the way do not have Lowes in Luxembourg Europe lol. Anyway thank you guys

Just to reiterate what was said above, you won't be able to.ferment 5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon container, you need head space for the krausen that is produced in fermentation.

FWIW, the OP never said anything about a 5 gallon batch. The question was about the viability of the 5 gallon container that once held vinegar as a fermentor.

But, in any case, as its been stated (and apparently understood) you would want a larger fermentor for a 5G batch.

Now that I know you dont have a Lowes nearby... :D Would your budget allow this 30L bucket that costs about ~$16 USD? (assuming I did the conversion from Euro right... And I may be wrong!)

Technically, yes, certainly, but I think you'll find it difficult compared to a bucket or clear carboy. It lacks both the accessibility of a bucket and/or the visibility of a clear carboy. When transferring to secondary or bottling bucket you'll want to see what's happening. Installing a drain spigot would help a lot, then you can look into the top without a siphon in the way. No harm in trying it out either way, best way to learn. The plastic type is totally fine, and the vinegar history shouldn't matter at all, IMHO.

Thank you Nagong. That's actually my store I'm ordering my gear from.
Yes actually I'm doing 3.5 gallon all grain batch size. I also got a 15 liter glass carboy but I thought that would be too small and that's why I came with this 5 gallon container. Anyway it's great to get all this help from you guys. I never expected that. I'm still finishing building my cool boxes setup. Waiting for Christmas to buy the rest

Back