Fermenter Stratification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently had a friend tell me that one 5 gallon corny keg out of a batch of 20 gallons of beer was better than another 5 gallon corny keg. I immediately justified it as the different amounts of time each keg had to age and when they were tapped or the carbonation level, factors such as these – pretty obvious right?

But here is the question. Have you have ever noticed that the first couple of pours and the last couple of pours on a keg have more hops flavor to it? Assuming because some hop particulate falls out of solution to the bottom and some floats. Is it therefore unreasonable to speculate that the same stratification occurs in the fermenter and you pull from different “layers” as you rack into each keg?

Just a thought, what do you guys think?

I think this is absolutely true, liquids like to stratify if they're not homogenized. Hence, extract kit brewers "not hitting their OG."

Back