Fermenter sizing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marjen

Reaction score
So I am looking to possibly get a couple conicals. If I would mostly be doing 5 and 1/2 barrel batches would it make sense to get 7 and 1/2 barrel conicals? Any reason not to get a 14 gallon conical for the 5 gallon batches? I guess I am wondering if there is any downside to too much headspace? Thinking of the new Spikes but the first model out is the 14 gallon one. Would too much headspace cause oxidation issues?

i think during fermentation you'd create enough co2 to fill that headspace, as long as you're not in and out of your fermenter too much.

One thing to consider is suck back during cold crashing. I routinely do 5 Gallon batches in a 15 gallon conical(BrewersHardware), but I pressurize with 2 lb CO2 to prevent this. Otherwise you will suck back ALOT of fluid if using a blowoff tube, or will suck in oxygen if using an airlock.

For what it's worth we have done a lot of testing with 5 gallon batches in the CF10 and it performed great! When we designed our new CF line we designed them to work with both full and half batches. The overall dimensions, thermowell height, temp control coil, etc were all designed to work with both full and half batches.

This is going to be a very tough decision. It will eventually be between a spike and an SSBetch unitank. It looks like the SS will be more of a true unitank and allow for full carbonation at the needed PSI. It also comes with all axcessories and heating and cooler kit for about $1100.

To get everything that has on the spike, well you can't really, can't carb as high and no heating/cooling, PRV or carb stone currently. It will probably be close to same price. I do like the larger dump valve and the fact you can take the head off though.

Back