Fermenter locations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freki

Reaction score
I'm unsure if this is the right spot for this question, but it seems like a newbie question to me.

I live in a townhouse, so space is limited for storage/fermentation, and I have had a thought that might help with utilizing some space that is pretty much dead space, but unsure if it would effect fermentation.

I have a kitchen pass through/breakfast bar thing that was designed for bar stools, but since we eat sitting on the couch (so sophisticated!), I was thinking of setting up a rack underneath there that would keep carboys elevated to be able to rack them without disturbing the lees, which would allow me to expand my brewing from just one 6 gallon and one 5 gallon for secondary. I also use yeasts that are happy in what is my usual room temp during the fermentation.

My question is, if I set them out in the open, and wrap them with towels to keep out most of the light, would that have any negative effect? I usually keep my fermentations in a closet that is also the laundry room (no dryer, so no temp changes)

Sounds fine to me. You could wrap it in foil, brown paper bags, or anything opaque.

You could also get waterless airlocks if you get tired of the bubbling.

Thermometer stickers (like Fermometer) are helpful, if you don't use them already.

But
Sounds fine to me. You could wrap it in foil, brown paper bags, or anything opaque.

You could also get waterless airlocks if you get tired of the bubbling.

Thermometer stickers (like Fermometer) are helpful, if you don't use them already.
But the bubbling is just music! I was thinking find someone who knows how to sew in a way that doesn't look like a 2 year old threw thread on something to make some "decorative" covers with velcro, using blackout material as a backing. Just wasn't sure how finicky a fermentation could be in that sort of set up. I just want to be able to have more than one thing at a time going, after all, variety is the spice of life!

Agree that I think that'd be fine. I've found large Tshirts can make good carboy covers. Tie the arms around each other around the neck so you just have the airlock sticking out. Make sure you use a thick shirt or double up if it's going to get more direct light.

I go with @KB12 method. I use t-shirts to cover the carboys if they're not in my fermentation chamber, which really only happens when I have multiple's going. The t-shirt has worked fine for me.

I didn't think a tshirt would be enough, even doubled up. Well, that changes my ideas a wee bit. My goal is to have at least three 5 gallon batches running at a time. At the current rate of consumption, I'll be out of cider before the next batch is ready.

Welcome !

keep in mind fermenting yeast RAISE the temperature inside your fermenters - comfortable room temps are too warm for ale yeasts... I've measured mine and found a 10°F differential...(thought it was 64F, was really 74F...) Temp control is by far the single best thing I've ever done to increase quality.

Welcome !

keep in mind fermenting yeast RAISE the temperature inside your fermenters - comfortable room temps are too warm for ale yeasts... I've measured mine and found a 10°F differential...(thought it was 64F, was really 74F...) Temp control is by far the single best thing I've ever done to increase quality.

And if you're covering the fermenter to keep light out, it will also serve as a bit of insulation, helping to raise the temp.

Depending on the size of the area, maybe small dorm-style refrigerators might serve as ferm chambers....

@Freki can you post a pic of the area to which you're referring?

Last edited:
I modified a mini fridge as a ferm chamber and it works fantastic, but you may not want to go that route yet it sound like.

What about hanging a curtain from the bar? If the overhang is large enough, you won't see all the carboys/blowoff etc

Welcome !

Aye, I've given that consideration, I choose yeasts that will do well in my normal room temp. Mosly I do ciders and trying my hand at mead right now, the yeasts I use seem to always do what I want them to and provide a good end result. I live in an area where it is not often below 75 outside from April to November, and we usually keep our thermostat at around 75-78, but the first floor remains cooler (YAY SCIENCE!) and the carboys usually maintain around 72 in a closet downstairs, the space I am moving them to is maybe 6 feet away, so It will have little to no temperature variation from where it is. I just need that closet space for other things at this point.

And if you're covering the fermenter to keep light out, it will also serve as a bit of insulation, helping to raise the temp.

Depending on the size of the area, maybe small dorm-style refrigerators might serve as ferm chambers....

@Freki can you post a pic of the area to which you're referring?
A fridge is a no-go per lease conditions. But this is the space that currently is just not used that I moved my 6 and two 1 gallons to.

View media item 69446

I modified a mini fridge as a ferm chamber and it works fantastic, but you may not want to go that route yet it sound like.

What about hanging a curtain from the bar? If the overhang is large enough, you won't see all the carboys/blowoff etc
I thought of a curtain last night, I was down there checking the progress and thought about just tacking a blackout curtain to the bottom of the counter. Unfortunately, a fridge outside of the kitchen is a no-go per the lease conditions.

A fridge is a no-go per lease conditions. But this is the space that currently is just not used that I moved my 6 and two 1 gallons to.

View media item 69446

It's a good space for storage of something like fermenting beer.

Just out of curiosity, why won't they allow a minifridge? I can think of a couple reasons why, but a minifridge doesn't use much, and wouldn't be on all the time anyway.

It's a good space for storage of something like fermenting beer.

Just out of curiosity, why won't they allow a minifridge? I can think of a couple reasons why, but a minifridge doesn't use much, and wouldn't be on all the time anyway.
Has more to do with our first floor being the second floor, and there have been idiots in this city who will either put one directly on the carpet and cause damage or get one that ends up leaking and causing damage. One idiot ruins it for us all.

A Brewjacket would probably be a good solution, probably a smaller footprint than a refrigerator and it looks a bit more 'tidy' than a bunch of t-shirts etc. wrapped around a carboy (maybe not an issue if it's mostly out of sight).

One possible downside, the Brewjacket isn't necessarily 'quiet' (I get a decibel reading in the 52-55 range at three feet). I also note the Brewjacket guys aren't that great at communicating on the Brewjacket forums, and support can be slow to respond to questions. That said - I love mine, haven't really had any major problems with it in 18 months / 12+ batches.

A Brewjacket would probably be a good solution, probably a smaller footprint than a refrigerator and it looks a bit more 'tidy' than a bunch of t-shirts etc. wrapped around a carboy (maybe not an issue if it's mostly out of sight).

One possible downside, the Brewjacket isn't necessarily 'quiet' (I get a decibel reading in the 52-55 range at three feet). I also note the Brewjacket guys aren't that great at communicating on the Brewjacket forums, and support can be slow to respond to questions. That said - I love mine, haven't really had any major problems with it in 18 months / 12+ batches.
I looked at them, seemed a bit pricey for now. Sound isn't an issue, we both are pretty hearing impaired at this point, I have 3 over there now that are going steady, and only hear the occasional *bloop* if I have the TV off.

Latest posts

Back