fermenter in the dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question about the wet towel technique. Ive tried this and after re-wetting the towel for a few days I can smell mildew in the room. Do you all just change out your towels or do you think the mildew doesnt have a chance against our mighty airlocks...

Well you are in Florida. Its allready humid there. Im out in the desert, so Im rewetting the towels every morning and afternoon. Theres no chance for mildrew to grow here as long as its open to the air.

ok but do you think mildew could in any way contaminate my fermenter, considering Im using an airlock filled w/ vodka?

gonzoflick said:
ok but do you think mildew could in any way contaminate my fermenter, considering Im using an airlock filled w/ vodka?
no, the mildew can't circumvent or otherwise pentrate the airlock...
at least not until you open it and you're touching the outside of the fermenter and all your racking equipment, etc...
i'd try to avoid allowing things to grow on the outside of my fermenter, if i were you...

I just cut a hole in the box it came in works great and perfect size

3008-blowover_thumb.jpg

Mildew has never been a problem for me when ever using a wet towel to keep the fermenting temperature under control. I keep my towels wet with weak bleach solution that I use anyway for sanitation of my plastic equipment. Works like a charm.:mug:

maybe you could try a completly synthetic material.
I've never done the towel thing, I used to just let it sit at room temp. with varying results (banana esters) now I have a fridge.

Bet you could use some of your sanitizing solution to wet the towel instead of plain water. Just be sure it won't bleach/discolor the towel if you want to keep the wife happy.

Yuri_Rage said:
Bet you could use some of your sanitizing solution to wet the towel instead of plain water. Just be sure it won't bleach/discolor the towel if you want to keep the wife happy.

What Yuri said.

I cut a door in a tall moving box so I can open the door and peek in incessantly. For HOT weather I put the carboy in a tiny baby pool (inside the box) with a little ice and water.

gonzoflick said:

Yay, a fellow Floridian brewer. :ban: I'm waay over here in Titusville.

I've got mine in a spare room with a dark brown (dry) towel wrapped around it. The blinds are closed tight and only the neck of the carboy is exposed. The room gets some dayglow through the blinds but I think it is diffused enough. It actually gets more light when I turn on the light to take a drooling peek. :D

Walker-san said:
My fast scan of this message left me thinking that you lived in Titsville. Sounded like a lovely place.

-walker

Well, it is summer. Lost of bikinis on Playlinda beach. :rockin:

Oh, did I mention that the northern part of the beach is the nude beach? Though I am actually scared of what/who you will find up there. I saw a guy that looked like Santa once. :eek:

Back