fermenter explosion - HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HCTRT42

Reaction score
So on 4th of July I brewed up a batch of extract hefeweizen. Last friday I found the lid of my fermenter blown off. Apparently the batch foamed up and clogged the airlock, therefore causing the blow up. I have no clue how long the lid was off. On a prayer, I replaced the lid and airlock. So I have noticed that there is no activity in the new airlock. This is my 7th batch, so i'm still kinda new.

So I guess my questions are:
1) Should I be worried?
2) On Monday I was planning in racking to secondary, should I add another pack of yeast to try to restart fermentation?
3) should I just scrap the whole batch?

Please help!

1.) You'll probably be fine depending on location, taste and see when you rack.
2.) Yeast doesn't grow wings and fly away, take a gravity reading.
3.) Wait and see - relax don't worry have a homebrew :)

Its probably fine, many breweries do open fermentations. Also, your not seeing any airlock activity because you brewed it almost 2 weeks ago and its basically done :)

Almost had the same problem. Brewed my first every IPA (Two Hearted clone) on Sat. night. Put it in the basement where it is relatively cool and dark. Noticed some activity in the airlock the next morning-temp was 66bySunday afternoon the airlock was purcolating big time. Kept an eye on it in fear of an impending explosion. This morning I noticed very little beer leakage from the airlock, but the percolating stopped completely as the airlock was completely full. I took a baster and removed some excess fluid and cleaned the cap of the airlock and viola'! almost immediately she was percolating again. :drunk:

I was a tad concerned about potential contamination. From what I've read I think I'm okay. *I always put some vodka in the airlock from the get-go.*

Back