fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawktrap74

Reaction score
hey guys my first batch of beer went into my fermenter and it only bubbled in the airlock for about 30 hours. is this alright. my batch of beer is a red ale (if that helps). i just dont know how long the action with yeast takes somebody let me know please.

hawktrap74 said:
hey guys my first batch of beer went into my fermenter and it only bubbled in the airlock for about 30 hours. is this alright. my batch of beer is a red ale (if that helps). i just dont know how long the action with yeast takes somebody let me know please.

Most of my brew are short ferments like that. If the temp in the primary is like in the high 60's to maybe mid-70's, it'll most definitely speed up your ferment. Even though there's no activity in the airlock, the yeast could still be working. So many times, I've opened my bucket to transfer over to a secondary to find small bubbles every now and then rising up to the surface of the beer. It may not hurt to leave it another day, but if you have a secondary, that's great for letting it finish out wheatever it needs to get done. Plus, moving it off of the junk at the bottom of the primary is always a good thing.

Yeah, it's almost certainly no problem at all. Still, give it some time...a couple weeks is best...in the secondary fermenter to let the flavors mellow.

Janx said:
Yeah, it's almost certainly no problem at all. Still, give it some time...a couple weeks is best...in the secondary fermenter to let the flavors mellow.
well i let it mellow for about 6 days then i bottled it up. now how long does it have to condition before it is time for tasting?

i did this too, bottled a beer after only a week in the primary, which was a plastic bucket.

i started to open the beer after a week to test carbinaiton, and it didn't taste so hot. so i let it be, but would sneak one here and there to see how it was doing...

let it sit one month, before you even open one. i really suggest that. it will age in the bottle, but it will take a wee bit longer than if you had put it into a secondary container of glass and let it age there.

but it should be ok so don't worry! just give it time ;)

t1master said:
i did this too, bottled a beer after only a week in the primary, which was a plastic bucket.

i started to open the beer after a week to test carbinaiton, and it didn't taste so hot. so i let it be, but would sneak one here and there to see how it was doing...

let it sit one month, before you even open one. i really suggest that. it will age in the bottle, but it will take a wee bit longer than if you had put it into a secondary container of glass and let it age there.

but it should be ok so don't worry! just give it time ;)
now should i have used my carboy before bottling. if so how will the beer be effected by not doing sec fermentation. basically what will i be missing from my brew?

this is my first batch so im kind of rushing it, i know thats the wrong thing to do. should all my beers go thru sec ferm.plus i hate bottling i just had to say that

hawktrap74 said:
now should i have used my carboy before bottling. if so how will the beer be effected by not doing sec fermentation. basically what will i be missing from my brew?

this is my first batch so im kind of rushing it, i know thats the wrong thing to do. should all my beers go thru sec ferm.plus i hate bottling i just had to say that

Relax... Have a homebrew. This is not a sport for those without patience. If you think waiting for a fish to bite is long, brew beer. That'll cure you. Ideally, one week in the primary, 2 in the carboy, 2 in the bottle before cracking your first. All this is on the verge of "rushing it". So go out and buy some good beer and let your HB do it's thing. You will be much happier with the finished product if you give it time. Enjoy!

Back