fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezee619

Reaction score
Can u dry hop in the primary? What r the negatives and positives of doing this and is it ok to put the pellets directly in w out a cheese cloth?

You don't need a cheese cloth for pellets, only whole. Yes you can dry hop in primary but you're better off in secondary so you can rack onto the hops, ensuring that all of your beer touches the hops. No extremely noticeable difference though.

I dry hopped my last beer in the primary and I won't do it again. Even after cold crashing for two days and careful racking, I still ended up with hops in my keg. There were enough to clog the poppit and add floaters to the first dozen beers. Next time I'm going in the secondary and a bag.

put a paint strainer bag or muslin bag over your siphon tube. I exclusively dry hop wirh pellets in primary and just dump em in. Cold crashing after a few days helps to drop them if you have the capability. I pull a five gallon paint strainer bag over the autosiphon and never get hops in the keg.

I dry hopped my last beer in the primary and I won't do it again. Even after cold crashing for two days and careful racking, I still ended up with hops in my keg. There were enough to clog the poppit and add floaters to the first dozen beers. Next time I'm going in the secondary and a bag.

i agree. i have always used a secondary for dry hopping, but i wanted to dry hops a recent IPA twice without leaving any dry hops in for more than 7 days. i dry hopped in the primary, bottled two gal, then dry hopped the other 3 gal in secondary. the first 2 gal is good beer, but it's very cloudy, theres some hop dust in the bottle and the aroma didn't come through the way i expected from past experience. almost like it was taken down by the yeast. the second 3 gal went into bottles crystal clear, no noticeable hops material in bottles, haven't tasted them yet, but the beer going in tasted great. i think i'll stick to dry hopping in the secondary with whole cones (no bag) in the future.

Back