Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1776

Reaction score
I brewed an allgrain 5 gallon batch this past Thursday evening, by sat the temp in fermenter climed to 76-78 degrees, then cooled off to 72-74 degrees. I have seen no bubbles yet and its Sunday afternoon. Should I open and see? If theres no activity should I re-pitch yeast? I pitched dry yeast.

Three days is a long time to see no visible signs of fermentation. I would repitch.

Was your yeast packet old? Or did you pitch at a high temperature?

At 78 degrees, the fermentation could have easily happened overnight when you were sleeping. Pop off the lid and take a look for the tell-tale signs of a krausen ring. Grab an SG reading, and close it back up. If it's high, you should repitch. But I have a strong feeling it's simply done.

No the yeast pack was new. Cant get any yeast till tomorrow. How long can the brew go in its present state before I cant re-pitch?

No the yeast pack was new. Cant get any yeast till tomorrow. How long can the brew go in its present state before I cant re-pitch?

It's probably DONE. You can repitch a hundred times, but if it's done, it'll still be done. If you take a hydrometer reading, you'll know for sure. You shouldn't repitch until you know this reading.

Back