Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeauchamp

Reaction score
I did my first AG this past Saturday. Everything seemed to go pretty well and I hit my OG (1.052). I have been checking my carboy daily and seeing very little activity. There was about 1/4" of foam on the top the other day, but it never got bigger then that. I have not taken any gravity readings since I put the yeast in the carboy. I have this in my basement and the temp sticker on the bottle has the temp around 62 degrees. I used Wyeast 1098 for this Brown Ale. Do you think that is to cold? Should I move this out of the basement to get it a little warmer? Will that help the fermentation?

Thanks for your help.

The Wyeast site says 1098 ferments down to 65F. Remember to always check the temperature range for these things. Every yeast company and most homebrew suppliers will list the range.

I have moved the carboy into my furnace room in the basement. It is a couple degrees warmer in there. I also wrapped the carboy in a blanket. I took a reading and it is at 1.028 @ 62 degrees. There has definitely been some fermentation going on, as it started at 1.052. It is only about 2/3 of the way through though as it should finish around 1.013, according to Beersmith.

Sounds like it is doing fine, give it a week and check it again.

FYI on AG and beersmith. Beersmith calculates the FG fairly dry, so if you mash above 150F then you are probably going to be a few (or several) points above the est. FG.

I too have been having beer not fermenting quickly enough lately. I was keeping my ferment cellar at 65 degrees. I had 3 that never got past 1.020 even after 14 days in the primary.
I carnked the heat up to 70 and they started doing better.
BUT, the ones that had gone a while at 65 never finished out. I assume that the first 3 or 4 days are key to hitting your FG.
Now I am keeping mine at 70 from the start.

I too have been having beer not fermenting quickly enough lately. I was keeping my ferment cellar at 65 degrees. I had 3 that never got past 1.020 even after 14 days in the primary.
I carnked the heat up to 70 and they started doing better.
BUT, the ones that had gone a while at 65 never finished out. I assume that the first 3 or 4 days are key to hitting your FG.
Now I am keeping mine at 70 from the start.

If you raise the temp then give your carboy a swirl to raise the sleeping yeast that will often get them munching on sugars again.

I've been fermenting in my basement which this time of year ranges from 56-60 and haven't had problems. I have used Safalle 05, Muntons, Wyeast Bel Abbey and WL hefe yeast all with no problems fermenting completely.

I have one of those stiring sticks you attach to a drill. This is only the second time I have used it but I stirred the heck out of the wort prior to pitching. I switch from forward to reverse several times to get as much agitation in the wort as possible. I think one of my issues may also be that when I poured the yeast into the carboy, I poured a bit of it down the outside of the carboy. I am begining to think more went on the outside that I originally thought.

I should have asked. Are you guys aerating your wort before you pitch your yeast?

I have been aeriating using a "Minnow Saver" bubbler.
The batch I made Monday kicked off pretty good, but stopped bubbling in a day. Waited 2 days and check the gravity, I was at 1.030. Gave it a stir and aeriated for 10 mintues. Bubbling nicely now! I guess I didnt gas it enough on Monday.

Back