Fermentation vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Hi all I am reasonably new to making my own alcohol and decided to start with wine which has gone pretty well. I have just bought a 5 gallon fermenting bucket which I am intending to use initially for wine and then beer at the end of this moth and then rotate it between the two could this cause me any problems or is it advisable to have separate fermenting vessels for wine and beer ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Justin

I'd brew them in separate vessels myself. Wine has stronger colors & whatnot. They might cross contaminate eachother.

unionrdr said:
I'd brew them in separate vessels myself. Wine has stronger colors & whatnot. They might cross contaminate eachother.

That's what I was thinking wasn't sure if they would pass flavones between the two and I don't think hop favors will go very well with rhubarb wine :)

That's what I was thinking wasn't sure if they would pass flavones between the two and I don't think hop favors will go very well with rhubarb wine :)

If you clean and sanitize, the plastic doesn't usually retain flavors or aromas. If you have any, leaving the buckets out in the sun for a day will eliminate it for sure.

There rarely is any carryover with the plastic they use in our buckets. If there was, we'd never be able to brew multiple batches in the same buckets anyway....

And if you're using glass you won't have to worry at all.

Good to know revs. I haven't made wine in years,but figured from past expeirences that cross contamination would be possible with,say,red wine. Then making a pale ale or something in it next...

Revvy said:
If you clean and sanitize, the plastic doesn't usually retain flavors or aromas. If you have any, leaving the buckets out in the sun for a day will eliminate it for sure.

There rarely is any carryover with the plastic they use in our buckets. If there was, we'd never be able to brew multiple batches in the same buckets anyway....

And if you're using glass you won't have to worry at all.

Thanks for the advice revvy I will go with that then there is only one small problem if there is any residual smells or flavor in the bucket I live in England will leaving it out in the rain rather than the sun do the same thing lol :)

Back