Fermentation vessel for 1 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer, I have all the equipment for 5 gallon extract batches but I'm thinking of doing some 1 gallon batches, maybe just so I can play with recipes or even try all grain on a small scale.

I'm wondering if I could buy some of those 1 gallon jugs of cheapo wine like Carlo Rossi and clean and use that as a fermentation vessel for 1 gallon batches. Or would the lack of headspace not be a good thing, leading to loss of beer due to blowoff? Would I be better off just buying a 2 gallon fermentation bucket from Midwest for 5 bucks?

I think you would need more room, but I've never tried it. Following suit with larger volume containers than your beer volume would probably be better (ie a 6 gallon fermenter for 5 gallons of wort, etc. )

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm a new brewer, I have all the equipment for 5 gallon extract batches but I'm thinking of doing some 1 gallon batches, maybe just so I can play with recipes or even try all grain on a small scale.

I'm wondering if I could buy some of those 1 gallon jugs of cheapo wine like Carlo Rossi and clean and use that as a fermentation vessel for 1 gallon batches. Or would the lack of headspace not be a good thing, leading to loss of beer due to blowoff? Would I be better off just buying a 2 gallon fermentation bucket from Midwest for 5 bucks?

Try going a lttle larger and U can use a 2 gallon paint bucket from HD. You can get three 6 packs from 1.9 gallons.

For 1 gallon batches, the carlo rossi is almost exactly the same. You need a #6 stopper though, because the mouth is narrower than the brew shop 1 gal. Carboys. I have 3 in fermentation now and they are all Carlo bottles. Have fun!

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, you can use El Cheapo Wine jugs for fermenting 1 gallon batches.

I have one of those and a 1 gal jug from LBHS and they have the same capacity.

And if you're the artsy type, you can use masking tape and glass etching cream to make a measuring bar on your jugs. I did this for both of mine and measuring is as simple as can be.

I've been doing 1 gallon brewing for a while now and here is what I found works well (for me, your milage may vary).

I did get a 2 gallon bucket from LHBS and I use that for primary. I peg all my recipes for 1.5 gallons and then I rack into a glass 1 gallon ( bought a couple and recycled a couple) for secondary. I lose a little more then just the trub and gunk but I always can rack a clean full gallon into my secondary.

Then when I bottle, I know I can fill (almost exactly) 5 22oz bombers, or 2-32oz ez and 2 22oz bombers.

Thanks for all the great responses guys. I think I will check Home Depot or Lowes for 2 gallon buckets and get a couple, or just get some from Midwest. I think if I do end up experimenting with recipes I will do 1.25 gallon batches so I can just multiply the recipe by 4 to get a regular 5 gallon batch.

Before you do that try your local bakery dept or the grocery store. I've picked up 5 food grade icing buckets that are ~5.3 gals, and two that are ~2 gals that I've used to make 1.75 gal batches, which is nearly 1/3 of a 5 gal batch (1.67gals) for free.

You'll need a 1/2" drill bit for the grommet.

Before you do that try your local bakery dept or the grocery store. I've picked up 5 food grade icing buckets that are ~5.3 gals, and two that are ~2 gals that I've used to make 1.75 gal batches, which is nearly 1/3 of a 5 gal batch (1.67gals) for free.

Thanks for the tip, I just might give this a shot. Was that you who suggested this in my thread on /r/homebrewing also?

I'm not familiar with /r/homebrewing. Is that the British forum? If so I suppose it's possible. That one or NB's.

Another tip or two:

Run them in the dishwasher first. That's stuff is HARD to clean out!

I also noticed my grass died where I had cleaned out all of those buckets.

Oh, /r/homebrewing is a part of reddit.com and I made the same thread there, and someone gave me the exact same tip about icing buckets from the bakery!

Not me then. I was given that advice here a long time ago, and have since passed it along.

Another tip for buckets:

Fill to 3-3.5 gals and turn off the light and shine a flashlight into the bucket. You'll be able to see the water line. Mark it with a permanent marker and continue this 1/2 gal at a time. Makes it fairly easy if you need to top off.

For a small bucket maybe mark it in quarts after a gal.

Hey Rodwha would you mind divulging which particular local bakery you procured your buckets from? I used to work at a steakhouse so I might go ask one of my old managers also.

Our grocery store (HEB). AFAIK they are only in parts of Texas. But I assume those buckets, or ones like them, can be found elsewhere.

The icing was made by a company called Brill.

I just realized it doesn't say I'm in San Antonio too in my avatar area so yeah I'm a dope. Ill check out HEB and see if they can give me some.

I went to the one on Bandera & 1604. You'll need to go earlier in the day (afternoon?). By evening they are done and gone.

Which number is the plastic on the icing buckets? The only ones I can find
are labeled number 5 (PP), I'm not sure hows these would act as a primary.

Back