Fermentation, too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just finished another batch about a week and a half ago (Oberon567's Dog Days of Summer Ale"), and I have some questions about the temp. I kept it pretty well in the low to mid 60s up until the last few days. The temp dropped quite a bit here, and I'm having trouble keeping my basement at a reasonable temp. It looked to me like fermentation had slowed quite a bit anyway before this happened, but now the thermometer on the outside of the bucket says about 58. I'm assuming its probably a bit warmer in the bucket, but guessing not by much. Is this too cold? I could move it upstairs, but it's about 70 there, so that may be a bit too high. Advice?

What strain of yeast are you using? More than likely it is a tad too chilly. Bring it upstairs to finish fermenting if you have a place for it.

first off, if you have a hydrometer, take a reading to see how it's come along. either way, i would move it upstairs and let things happen at 70 degrees instead of 58. it sounds like a majority of the active fermentation has occurred, but i like to bring my beers up to around 70 after a few days to let things clean up and finish out.

:mug:Try to find a cool somewhat drafty spot upstairs. They are someware, you just have to find them. At least your paying attention to the temps.When it warms a little maybe give it a shake to wake if they went dormant. but yeah, they could be done anyway. gently shake yes.twisting it.

As Jamil and Palmer have said, over and over again, it's important to keep fermentation temperatures low for the first few days, during active fermentation. At the end, it's important to let temperatures rise, even up above 70*. Any off flavors from fermenting too warm happen EARLY in fermentation. Raising temps late actually allows the yeast to continue to work and clean up any by-products (off flavors) they may have produced during the first few days.

In other words, bring the beer upstairs for a 4 or 5 days.

You may have been spot on with your intial fermentation temps for the crucial time which is the first week after yeast pitch. True if it got colder afterwards, it may have caused the yeast to go dormant which will limit some of the cleanup and conditioning, but just bringing it up to the a warmer spot would get the yeasties a dancing again.

Like others have said take a reading to see where it is at.

Alrighty, this guy is going upstairs then! Maybe I'll just close the vent a bit in our spare room if it gets to warm. Thanks guys!!

Oh and I believe the yeast was S-05. Didn't feel like spending the extra 5 bucks for the liquid this time around, but I heard that's a very good yeast to use... and my lhbs doesn't seem to carry nottingham anymore.... bummer, kinda liked the stuff!

I wouldn't be worried about raising to 70 at the end of fermentation. I think it would actually help finish everything as others have said. I doubt your yeast went dormant however because I doubt the change in temp was sudden enough to shock it. You're probably good to go.

I have noticed on several threads lately that people have said to SHAKE the fermenter to wake up the yeast. Actually SHAKING the fermenter would introduce oxygen and that is not best at this stage. The best way is to swirl the liquid. This stirs up the yeasties and does not cause oxygen to be introduced.

I use 1 gallon jugs and have also used a 5 gallon bucket. I can do the jugs with one hand on the bottom and one loosely around the neck. What I do with the bucket is pick it up by the handle and twist it back and forth rapidly a few times as far as my arm will turn. It works for me.

I have noticed on several threads lately that people have said to SHAKE the fermenter to wake up the yeast. Actually SHAKING the fermenter would introduce oxygen and that is not best at this stage. The best way is to swirl the liquid. This stirs up the yeasties and does not cause oxygen to be introduced.

Yes Yes Yes.

Back