Fermentation temps for hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
A forum friend and I were discussing hard apple cider fermentation in warmer weather, and I'd like to ask for feedback:

In SC my 68F indoor winter temps have climbed back to 73F already. I have my mind on finding an old chest freezer and running it with a temp controller which is what I am working on now. This system will serve for lager fermentation, lagering and conditioning as well as warm weather cider fermentation.

With said system in place (soon I hope), what will be a good yeast and a good fermentation temp since my temp ranges will be wider than before? Just getting my thinking process in order before I make a final ingredients list. Suggestions are much appreciated!!

I am using Mangrove Jacks Yeast and they say their cider yeast imparts more fruit flavors at higher temps. Their optimum range for their cider yeast M02 is from 64-75 but can operate from 54-84 according to their website.

Safale S04 at 62 - 64 Deg F works well for me. Has been my go-to for the past few years. A little "Fluffier" lees than others but in my opinion imparts some nice flavors at these temps.

When I get my freezer and controller going, I'll have a wide range of temps to ferment cider. Will I get best results by choosing a yeast that ferments slowly at lower temps? I can surely try Safale SO4 at 62-64 in the freezer, or virtually any other lagering temps are possible. What are other options?

Maybe the cider season is fading, and this forum isn't as well traveled as it was in the fall. I had expected more replies to this.

From what I've read in Claude Jolicoeur's book, he recommends using a champagne yeast at 50°F. There are also times when "cold crashing" can be useful, so I'd say that if your fridge can cover 30-60 you'd have it covered.

I agree with Maylar and follow the advice in Claude's book. In regards to yeast choose, however, I prefer a white wine yeast specifically selected for cold temp fermentation, such as R2, DV10 or BA11. All of these maintain an insane amounts of fruit aroma and flavor at a 50f fermentation, even when fermented to complete dryness. (.998)

I'm running a full size freezer with a 14 gallon conical fermenter inside and a Johnson Controls A419 temperature controller. Works well and I've made a number of batches since I've set it up with no issues. From what I've read and experienced the temperatures on the yeast label will give a good ferment, so it's going to vary. But with that said I agree with the previous that lower temps will work okay just drag things out a bit, which can be not only okay but preferred depending upon the recipe and flavors your looking for. The real problem is higher temps. That is when you are more likely to stress the yeast and produce off flavors, everything from oily to sulfur to nail polish flavors and aromas.

View attachment 1457891854355.jpg

Back