Fermentation Temperature Help for a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpatel479

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Do I need to account for heat generated from the fermentation process its self when trying to control the fermentation temperature?

For example, the yeast package says to keep it at about 70. So should I be keeping the carboy in a room that is 70, or should I lower the room temp to like 60-65 and expect the fermentation process to provide the additional heat?

I only ask, because I was making a starter last night and I wrapped a heating pad around the starter and used a temp controller to keep the temp at 70. The room temp was 65, but the controller kept reading the starter temp to be 80. As a result, the heating pad never went on so I am assuming that the extra heat is generated from the yeast it's self? I could also feel a temp difference from the bottom of the jar where the starter was, and the top of the jar that was empty.

You can account for some heat coming off as fermentation is exothermic. What type of yeast are you using? I try to keep my fermenters around 65 degrees.

Back