Fermentation Temperature Graph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-brewer

Reaction score
I am working on a school project involving the use of PLC's in fermentation temperature control. I am looking for a temperature vs time graph of fermentation that the temperature is not being controlled to show the heat generated.

If anyone has anything like that or any links, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Thanks for the brewpi link, there is plenty of good things in there I can talk about as well. But as day trippr said, I am looking for fermentation temperature graph that has not temperature control what so ever. Just let to go on its own to show the heat produced from the fermentation process.

I think as a general rule, around here someone with logging capability is probably doing so with temperature control. Could be someone doing it just for experiment or because they want to see the information.

There's a section for DIY ferm chambers
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=258

or the section for automated brewing
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=235

someone in one of those sections may have some log data for you. Otherwise you could try commercial brewers or some of the brewing books.

I use a PLC for ferment temperature control, have capability of data logging but usually don't, at least not anymore. Also if I'm not controlling temperature I don't hook up any sensors, no point.

Edit: I would offer to get a datalog but I won't be doing an uncontrolled brew for at least a few months, probably after your class is done.

I have five channel logging available...and I agree anyone with monitoring capability is doing controlled fermentation to begin with. So the fundamental issue here is anyone who understands that temperature control is like the number one most important thing wrt brewing isn't going to let a batch run wild...even for science ;)

I think the OP needs to brew a sacrificial batch...

Cheers!

I am looking for fermentation temperature graph that has not temperature control what so ever.
4p.jpg

I would think a commercial brewery might have what you want. I suspect that there will be a lot of variables from yeast and wort!:)

Thanks guys, I still haven't been able to find one, but I'm not that concerned. I have several other much bigger projects that have taken the majority of my time this semester. haha

fwiw. there might be some usable stuff findable via Google.

Here's one plot of what appears to be an uncontrolled fermentation that seems fairly reasonable...

fao18-graph.jpg

Cheers!

I think that I have a xls w the temp of the beer bucket and the temp of a bucket of water in the same fermentation table. The data shows the temp of the water getting colder as the beer temp is held constant by the temp controller. You could do some math to calc the temp change in the beer. The only complication is that the bucket of water is 5 gallons and the beer is only 3 gallons.

When you you need the graph by? I have a brewpi setup, but in about a month I could brew up a saison and just let nature run its course with it while logging the temps.

Alternatively, and this could be a better alternative, I could do a brew where the chamber is set to specific point (say 18C) and the beer temp is monitored and graphed with a consistent ambient temperature.

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but here is a temp controlled fermentation where I pitched cool and then brought the temps up to 20C. What I find interesting is the big spike in Fridge temp setting between May 5th and 6th. It seem that much less effort is required now to keep the temperatures cool which I think is the end of active fermentation (ambient temperature hasn't changed drastically).

Not very scientific, but it is what I currently have.

Beer Temps.png

Back