Fermentation temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdmcdowell4

Reaction score
I am going to be starting my very first brew this friday. Its going to be a belgian wit and im very excited about it. My biggest concern is keeping the fermentation temperature at a steady temp. I will be fermenting in the garage which has been at an AVERAGE 55 DEGREES which is going to be to cold. The yeast i am using is WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale Yeast, optimum Fermentation Temperature: 67-74°F.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to keep the temp at an optimal temp?

I was thinking about putting it in a large water filled rubber made bucket and heating that with an spare aquarium heater i have laying around. Also i was thinking if i do that should i wrap the bucket in towels and stuff for insulation, or just insulate my fermenter?

If anyone has any input or other suggestions it would be greatley appreciated.

Look up SOF. It's a cheap home built one. Otherwise you can buy wraps for fermentors that will keep it at the right temp. Another option is a heater hooked up to a temperature controller. Search around a bit lots of threads on this especially in the DIY forum.

Your water idea will work. You can also checkout brewbelts or FermWrap, basically heaters that wrap around the fermentor...I use them on a temp controller in my cool box but you can also wire them up to a dimmer switch and monitor the temp with a stick-on fermentor thermometer until you figure out the dimmer setting...good luck!!

Doesn't the aquarium heater have an integrated thermostat? I would think it would have to or else you would cook your fish right? If it does, that is a perfect solution... As long as it doesn't get too warm...

Keep in mind that fermentation will raise the temp of the wort. Because water is a much better conductor for heat, it will be pretty close to the temp of your bucket, but I would still set your thermostat a couple degrees below your target and let fermentation push it the rest of the way.

How about a heating pad?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Health-King-Size-Programmable-Heating-Pad/3205707

Of Course if you brew and get the temps down to 75-80. You could just pitch. If your garage is at 55F by the time that thermal mass of wort gets down to 55F the yeast would have a good start and most likely would have enough cells to avoid going into hibernation. Remember, at peak fermentation the wort will be anywhere from 4F-7F above ambient temps anyway. If I was in your position I'd pitch a healthy starter at 70F and either keep it in the house for 24 hours or just leave it.

Thanks everyone all that should help. probably gonna stick with the aquarium heater due to finances (because i have one already, just need a big rubbermade bucket) and i will be sure to set it a few degrees lower than i want so i dont keep it too warm in the fermenter. hopefully the wife will allow me to initally keep it in the downstairs closet until for the first day or two.

Back