fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edues

Reaction score
How does the temp of the room affect the taste of the wine if at all. I have no temp control and my average indoor temp is around 65°f have a plum/concord grape wine fermenting now with lavin 212 yeast.

Can you take the temp of the wine?
You really want to stay within the temperatures recommended for the particular strain of yeast, too hot and the yeast might ferment too fast, using up all of the available nutrients, this can create stressed yeast. Temperature control during fermentation is critical! Temperature stress can permanently inactivate yeast cells, toxins can originate from stressed yeast cells, just to name a few of the problems that can occur from lack of temp control. (Taken from the Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook).
RC212's temp range is between 68° - 90°, if you have a heat pad, or a seedling heat mat you can use those to raise the temps, remember, a healthy fermentation is extremely important.

I should take a temp. As the fermentation goes on doesn't it warm it up a bit? It is fermenting now and has a good head of foam but it took 2 days to get there. Them are good ideas to warm it thanks!

Update on the cool temps... Its 3 days old now. It went from 1.110 to 1.090. And it has an beautiful aroma not like a normal fermentation but like fruity cotton candy. Just recently I did a wine in cooler temps and it went slow. But with the same type of aroma.

I absolutely love the smell of a healthy fermentation, I have 3 batches of wine fermenting here in my office, it smells like heaven!
The Yeast that you are using is a real nice yeast, The following taken from Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook "Known for its ability to generate ripe berry, bright fruit and spicy characteristics", and this is only one reason why using yeasts that compliment the fruit and bring out characteristics that we want in our wine is a smart idea! By the sounds of things, it sounds like the yeast is happy and fermentation is going well.
I would buy Fermaid K at this point, just in case the yeast uses up all of the nitrogen and nutrients in the wine, you can avoid or at least be proactive about keeping the yeast from getting stressed.
Are you fermenting with the crushed grapes or just fermenting the pressed juice? If you are fermenting with the grapes, make sure that you are punching down the cap and keeping the yeast in suspension.

I hope that this helps

At the time its covered with a cheese cloth so fruit flies don't get in and I stir it a bit daily. You recommend a good time to seal it up tight with an air lock? Used 3# damson plumbs and 3#cushed grapes for 2 gallons.

For smaller batches, I would ferment in a 7.9 gal fermenting bucket and put the airlock on from day 1, on the bigger batches, 17-20 gallons, I use a Rubbermaid brute with a lid and it doesn't get an airlock until after pressing when it goes into a demijohn for Malolactic fermentation. I don't trust the cheese cloth, once the gnats/fruit flies start showing up it seems like they can get through anything...lol

Back