fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what do you consider "slight"?

this depends on the style, the temps, and the yeast. give us some details, please!

In addition to the above...

What yeast? What are your base holding temps? and what is the range of change?

A few degrees with 05 won't hurt a thing. I just made an amber that danced around that temp range and tasted fantastic!

Good to know! I'll be putting it in the keg this weekend and starting to carb it!

Safale us-05 yeast. My temps are from 68 to 71

what if the temp shot up to 76-78 after the first 24hrs? Airlock was going like mad at that point. Day after that temp dropped back down to about 72. Airlock activity but way down. 3 days later still around 72 with a little activity.

gonna be crappy?

what if the temp shot up to 76-78 after the first 24hrs? Airlock was going like mad at that point. Day after that temp dropped back down to about 72. Airlock activity but way down. 3 days later still around 72 with a little activity.

gonna be crappy?

not ideal, not crappy. us-05 is pretty forgiving. probably a little more estery and maybe a touch of fusel heat.

not ideal, not crappy. us-05 is pretty forgiving. probably a little more estery and maybe a touch of fusel heat.

does this yeast have a tendency to get really hot? I understand internal heat will rise during the first few days with all yeast but i've had a hard time with US05.

That said, i've still ended up with decent beers. Some off flavors probably as a result of the heat but still way better than wlp001 which is why i continue to use 05. Not to mention it's about half the cost.

I really need a proper ferm fridge!

does this yeast have a tendency to get really hot? I understand internal heat will rise during the first few days with all yeast but i've had a hard time with US05.

That said, i've still ended up with decent beers. Some off flavors probably as a result of the heat but still way better than wlp001 which is why i continue to use 05. Not to mention it's about half the cost.

I really need a proper ferm fridge!

us-05 is a really forgiving yeast that behaves well in a wide range of temps. it's biggest problem is that it's a fairly poor floculator. although with enough calcium I don't usually have a problem with that.

in terms of heat created during fermentation it's something of a positive feedback because the higher the initial pitch temp the faster the yeast moves through the available sugars and the faster it eats through those sugars the more heat it creates thus encourageing faster fermentation... and so on, until the food runs out. but if you can chill your wort into the mid 60s and then keep things below say 72 or so for the first three days it will produce excellent beer.

us-05 is a really forgiving yeast that behaves well in a wide range of temps. it's biggest problem is that it's a fairly poor floculator. although with enough calcium I don't usually have a problem with that.

in terms of heat created during fermentation it's something of a positive feedback because the higher the initial pitch temp the faster the yeast moves through the available sugars and the faster it eats through those sugars the more heat it creates thus encourageing faster fermentation... and so on, until the food runs out. but if you can chill your wort into the mid 60s and then keep things below say 72 or so for the first three days it will produce excellent beer.

thanks! i'll try and get the wort temp down a little before pitching next time.

Back