Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighteez

Reaction score
I have my first batch, an irish red ale, in the fermenter. Its been in there for 7 days.

I checked it the day after boiling and the airlock was bubbling along nicely. Since then I have looked in the closet at the bucket (havent opened it, no reason to) about every 2 days. Just to see that it hasnt blown thru the airlock and to check the temp.

Its been at 65 - 70 degrees Farenheit for a week now.

Here is my question:

Is 30 days at 65 - 70 gonna be ok? Or is that on the cool side? (it's not a lager)

Sounds good to me. Heck I'm keeping mine in the low 60's and they're coming out nice, so I sure wouldn't worry about it being too cool if it were me.

that will be just fine. You can warm it up a bit (closer to 70) if you want, but I seldom do. I just leave it in my cooling system at 65F for a month, (or more, depending on the style).

Lagering is typically much cooler - ferment in 50s, lager in low 40s to 30s..

In general, the cooler the temperature the "cleaner" the flavor of the yeast. I ferment most of my ales at 60-64 degrees, depending on the strain. I've gone into the high 50s with nottingham yeast, and that made a very clean beer- almost lagerlike in character. I love pacman ale yeast fermented at 60-62 degrees, for the same reasons.

Some English strains are fruity, and the higher the temperature the fruitier they are.

In most cases, ales with a fermentation temperature of 62-70 are about perfect!

Do you have to leave it for 30 days? Personally, I'd like to package much sooner than that.

Sounds good to me. Heck I'm keeping mine in the low 60's and they're coming out nice, so I sure wouldn't worry about it being too cool if it were me.

+5

Theres something people keep forgetting, and there are some threads on here about it. The temp outside is different from what is inside by a degree or two.

Fermentation creates a bit of heat. It's movement. It's love. It's birth. It's hot!

My basement stays at 67F in the summer. I figure the inside is around 69ish. Every batch has been fine thus far.

As far as 30 days....I'd rack @ 21 if you can't bottle right away. Yeast cakes don't help much after 3 weeks.
:mug:

I was going to let it go 2 weeks in primary, then 2 weeks in secondary. (28 days)

I had a discussion with Revvy and he suggested (and I went with it) to skip secondary and just do all primary.

So I figured 4 weeks in primary then bottle.

Can it go TOO long in primary?

Just from my own reading about stuff, I don't think you get into "too long" until it's double digit weeks long, lol.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think 3 weeks is said to be enough in most cases if you don't use a secondary, but 4 definitely wouldn't be too much.

Back