Fermentation temp too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andruss15

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to Home Brew Talk and brewing itself. I am currently brewing my 3rd batch, an IPA, and while the air temperature is at 70 F, the temp in the fermenter says it is at 74 F. Will this be an issue? I am using Wyeast 1056 American Ale and this will be day 2 of fermentation.

P.S. - I apologize if this topic has been covered before, still new to the site.

Thanks!

Fermentation is an exothermic process, so it's normal for it to be warmer than ambient air temps. Generally speaking, the warmer you go the more flavor contribution you get from the yeast. IMO, that's a bit warmer than I prefer but I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

Take a look at fermentation temp control. There are various ways to do it, some cheap, some expensive. An example of a cheap way, get a large plastic tote and freeze some bottles of water. Put your fermenter in the tote, fill it with water, and periodically add frozen water bottles to keep it in your desired temp range.

Back