fermentation temp? (stout-extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bike2brew

Hops Kitchen Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 3 gal stout in the fermenter now and am looking for guidance on temperature as it is progressing toward finish. It is a basic stout extract w/ an OG of 1. 085, and currently sitting @ 1.021 for last 2 days (8.7 days in fermetation total). Overall average temperature has been 65.4. Graph from the Tilt is posted below. I am looking to keg @ 28 days total ferementation. Should I keep the temperature @ ~ 65 or let it climb slightly to ~68? What would be the purpose? I have read this might assit with mellowing (meld) flavors, etc. Don't have enough experience to know if this is true or not. Previous Stout & Porters turned out good w/ 21 day fermentations and no attention to temperature control. My previous IPA appeared to benefit from steady temperature and fermenting total 28 days so I am thinking why not this? Feedback is welcome. Thanks.

1666110419998.png

Well, based on the readings, it is likely finished. But I have never packaged a beer before day 14. I would let it climb to finish just to see if you can't get a few more points. If anything, the temp rise will help the yeast clean up any potential diacetyl or other off flavors.

Well you said you did this before. Did you like what you had before. If so, then do the same for this beer. If you want to experiment, then experiment.

Your overall temp has been on the lower limit of what is considered a diacetyl rest. So I doubt you even need to be concerned. Usually it's people that do lagers that have to worry about diacetyl. Did you have any buttery or butterscotch off flavors or notes in the previous beer?

Thanks for the comments so far. I agree with let it go additional time. I am still waiting for 28 days. 68 degrees max temperature? Perhaps @ day 14. Day 10?

No off flavors in previous efforts. Brewer talent or beginner luck?
Maybe you just read and follow directions well. Also cleanliness and sanitation in the parts of the process where it's really important might be part of your normal habits. So yeah, maybe brewer talent... so to speak!

LOL. I do try to follow directions and pay attention to cleanliness and santiation to a fault. Interesting that it seems inuitive but not universal among all those hoping to brew something tasty.

It probably is done fermenting, but as mentioned if you're not in a rush to drink it I'd let it warm to room temp (meaning 70-ish) and sit a few more days to be sure. Stouts tend to be better if they sit a bit anyhow. After that do what you wish...

Did you say what kind of yeast you used, and I just missed it? Yeast strain matters a lot here. Some really benefit from a bit of time at higher temperature, while some couldn't really care less. Most stouts would use a neutral ale yeast, and most of them don't require kid-glove treatment, but tell us what you're working with.

At this point temperature is nearly non-critical. When I brew my all-grain (and a crapton of it) imperial stout at around 6 days post-pitch I bring the temperature up to 68°F for the rest of the "fermentation" until it's time to package (another week or two or when I get around to it) ...

Cheers!

S-04. Sitting at 76% attenuation and 1020 now. Going to raise my set point temp to 68 tomorrow and let it ride until 28 days post. Plan to keg 1 gallon and bottle the rest for a bit more conditioning

Back