Fermentation Temp schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatchstickBrewingCo.

Reaction score
I recently purchased an STC 1000+ from brewsbysmith so I'm finally jumping on the temp control train! I couldn't be more excited about it, but as it comes closer to brew day I'm thinking about the best practices when it comes to the temp schedule.

Can anyone give me an idea of what they do temp wise? I'm making a Stone IPA clone with the Wyeast West Coast IPA yeast. At what temp do you think I should pitch the yeast? What temp should I keep it at and for how long?

Should I ramp the temp up towards the end of fermentation? If so, how high? What temp should I keep it at during secondary fermentation/dry hopping? Etc.

Any experience or comments will help!

I recently purchased an STC 1000+ from brewsbysmith so I'm finally jumping on the temp control train! I couldn't be more excited about it, but as it comes closer to brew day I'm thinking about the best practices when it comes to the temp schedule.

Can anyone give me an idea of what they do temp wise? I'm making a Stone IPA clone with the Wyeast West Coast IPA yeast. At what temp do you think I should pitch the yeast? What temp should I keep it at and for how long?

Should I ramp the temp up towards the end of fermentation? If so, how high? What temp should I keep it at during secondary fermentation/dry hopping? Etc.

Any experience or comments will help!

Here is my view on fermentation temps. Pitch at the low end of the ideal range for the yeast (for this yeast the range is 62 to 74F). I position my temp probe where it controls the ambient temp inside the freezer and not the wort/beer temp (some do not agree with this). But by doing this, if you pitch at 62F with the ambient temp at 62F the energy created by the fermentation will increase the temp (usually around 4-6F) putting it in the midrange of the ideal temp. Now this is the important part; As the fermentation starts to subside (after high krausen) , the fermentation temp will begin to decrease, do not let this happen. Instead start bumping your temp control by 1-2 degrees per day until the ambient temp (which will also be your wort/beer temp now) reaches the high end of the ideal temp for your yeast.
Yeast strains, environment, and beer gods will affect the behavior of fermentation. Keep an eye on your fermentation temps and phases, learn how each strain you use react to your conditions and adjust accordingly. Also evaluate your end results. "Cleaner" beers often benefit from lower fermentation temps while estery beers may benefit from warmer temps. These variables are often best effected in the early stages of fermentation.

Thanks for the input Trentm, I have the carboy bung with the Thermowell so I'll be measuring the actual wort temps so I don't have to worry about the fermentation activity raising the temps, they will always be a specific temp. That way when the temp starts to drop back down after high krausen the heat pad will kick in to keep it at that certain temp.

I was thinking of 66 degrees during most of the fermentation but then maybe bumping it up as fermentation starts to slow as I've read that doing so keeps more yeast suspended to help with clean up.

Anyone have any preferences on how high to go to do this? also, what temps should I keep it at during secondary for dry/hopping?

Back