Fermentation temp recommendation for an Aventinus clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixmilecross

Reaction score
I just spent a few hours looking through "Brewing with Wheat" and putting together an Aventinus clone recipe based on some of the things outlined in the chapter. My intent is to try and harvest some yeast from a few bottles of Aventinus and ferment according to the schedule mentioned in the book - pitch at 61F and let rise to 72F for 7 days (pretty sure that's over 7 days, not hold for 7 days days once beer reaches 72F).

Anyways, in the event that the yeast harvesting doesn't work, I planned on using Wyeast 3068 in an effort to reproduce the clove flavor that's distinct to Aventinus. My question is would it be better to hold the fermentation temp right at 64-65F until complete, or should I ramp it up over 7 days to 72F?

Remember the lower you ferment at with that yeast the more clove notes you will get. I would pitch at fermentation temps and leave it. At 72 I think you will be at the higher en with more bannana flavores. I'd stay lower at about 64-66

That's what I figured. I was just surprised to hear they go as high as 72F, although I know they acidify their wort so as to bring out more of a clove flavor. Now all I have to do is get up the courage to do this step decoction BIAB style.

I'm also surprised to hear that their conditioning process only takes 3 weeks: 1 week at 70F and 2 weeks at 50F. I find it hard to believe that a beer as big as this could be ready to drink in just 4 weeks.

Maybe they go with the two weeks at 50 to clarify it and help finish it. I'm surprised they start at 70 with the risk of banana flavors but maybe the acid does help. I'm not familiar with that. Good luck!

Apparently the 2 weeks @ 50 is to get rid of the diacetyl produced from the bottle carbing with speise. It definitely would help with clearing though.

Back