Fermentation Temp for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Have a stout fermenting in my closet at the moment, just a tad concerned about the temp, its a little nippy, not too cold though, id expect the temp in the closet to be around 15 degrees celcius or 59F. Is this a little low?

The low end of 04 is about 64F, so you're a bit chilly for that one. Might still work, but if it does, it'll be slooooooow going. I'd try to get the temp up a little bit if it were me.

Well, remember that fermentation itself will add a few degrees to the beer's temp above ambient. You might be better off with ambient around 62°-64°, but you may well be fine now. Are you seeing signs of an active fermentation? I'd rather be too cool than too hot any day of the week.

The airlock is bubbling away and krausen is there too. In the vessel though I would imagine as you said it will be a few degress higher

Back