Fermentation Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm starting to realize that my apartment's ambient temperature (for me to be comfortable) is a little to high for some of my brews. Some are fine to rock out at ~70(probably about 74 internal at the peak), but I'm trying to brew some Belgians and other big beers for the winter and need to have a few fermenters at a lower temp(only like ~65, but still, colder than my apartment). I absolutely cannot afford to go build some crazy box or buy a fridge---no room and no money. I'm looking for a fairly economical way to keep a fairly low temperature, not overly specific and certainly not lager temperatures. I've seen ideas about using damp towels/clothing to wrap around the fermenters and then keeping a fan blowing on them. Anyone have any better, cheap ideas? Or maybe more specifics about using this method? :confused:

Thanks in advance, chaps :mug:

That's genius. Thanks, guys! I needed to make a Wal-Mart trip for Tupperware anyway, so I'll snag a big enough container for a couple of my fermenters to fit in congruently.

Sometimes I use an insulated fermentation bag that I picked up from the Home Brew shop. Once you get the beer down to temperature, I use ice blocks made from milk cartons to keep it there. I rotate the ice blocks out every couple days or so. Does a pretty good job.

+1 for the fermentation bags. I have two and they work great. Don't need much ice to keep the temp down. I just fermented a lager in one in the low 50's and routinely lager and cold crash in them as well.

It looks like they are $65.00.
For sale on Amazon and EBay.
Also a channel on YouTube.
www.cool-brewing.com
I have been able to maintain beer temperatures 25-30 degrees below room temperature.
Additionally, I lagered an Octoberfest in one of those bags for three months this summer. Turned out great! Beer temp was 40 degrees when I bottled.

Sounds awesome, but I just can't drop that much more dough. Maybe for Christmas! I'd love to have one someday

Back