Fermentation stuck at 1.023

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdskull

Reaction score
Classic question here.. My APA is stuck at 1.023 after 10 days in the primary (measured after 7 days and after 10 days). Estimated FG in Beersmith is 1.012.

I used 2,6kg Amber DME
and 0,5kg CaraMalt 25l in an 18 litre batch.

After cooling the wort, I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated US-05.

Yesterday I tried "shaking" up the yeast a bit to see if it got moving again, but nothing has happened yet.

Could pitching another pack of US-05 help? Should I just dry hop now, and hope I don't bottlebomb?

What was real OG (looks like you didn't take one)? Did you temp correct your hydrometer reading? You could dry hop now and wait for another 7-14 days then bottle. using 2 packs of US-05 I wouldn't add more. I usually primary for 2-3weeks and dry hop for another 7-10 days.

Forgot to add that my OG was 1.059 (est .054). All readings have been temp.corrected. :)

OG at 1059 you might not be stuck, you might be done. Go ahead and dry hop, that will take at least another week. just dry hop in primary. That should give the yeast time to clean up after itself. CHEERS!

Alrighty. It's a given that I'm not very experienced with Beersmith yet, but what is that program on about when it states est. FG to be 1.011? :)

I don't use beersmith but there are a lot of variables from manufacturers on Light, Amber & Dark DMEs. Muntons does not use any Carapils (for body). I have told some extract buddys about this and they switched to muntons light DME and Steep grains to get to color and sweetness they like and have ended up closer on FG, You may be experiencing that.

Seems plausible. :) Thanks! I'll dry hop this batch later today then, and we'll see in a few weeks how it turns out. :)

Opened a few bottles the other day with some friends. I'm so happy I started brewing my own beer! Anything other than a boring pilsner is horribly expensive in Norway, and this first ale (I think it turned out an amber) me and my brewing assistant made tastes better than almost all the stuff I can find in the shops (liqour stores exempt)!

It ended up a little on the sweet side, but that has its charms aswell, and the cascades come through fantastically. Can't wait to taste the DIPA and IPA we've got in buckets. :)

Back