Fermentation stuck at 1.021

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdprice3

Reaction score
Sorry for another "stuck at 1.02" thread, but I just wanted to make sure of my process.

Belgian Blonde Extract Kit
Steeped specialty grains at 155-160 (sorry, no grain bill provided; I guess I could lower this to 150-155 range to possibly get more fermentables?)
3.3 lb Pilsner LME boiled for 60 min
3.3 lb wheat LME, 1 oz palisade hops, candied sugar boiled for 15 min
Rehydrated a packet of T-58 and pitched; found a second packet that came with kit the two days later, so I rehydrated and pitched.
EG 1.069
OG 1.064 (small boil over + a little high on top off water)
Fermented at 65-68F for 7 days
FG on day 7 and day 8 are both 1.021

Beer tastes good, but slightly sweet.
Gently stirred it (not aerating) and put a heater in the room to bump the temp to the low-mid 70s to see if the yeast will become active again. I'm also letting my sample degas to see if the FG drops any.

Anything else I should do at this point; or any mistakes you see?

I know the first piece of advice will likely be to let it sit another week and see what it does; which I will do. I guess at this point, it can take days to see a very small drop in FG due to lower yeast activity/fewer fermentables?

Other information:
TG: 1.014
I think this is too low; this would mean an 80% attenuation, and I've seen T-58 listed at 71-75% attenuation. And now that I just did the math with the EG of 1.069 and average attenuation, I should see a FG of 1.019 (or 1.017 with my OG of 1.064)... if I'm doing this math correctly. What's a typical decent FG deviation (+/- .002 or so?)? Or is hitting the TG pretty standard?

Thoughts? Thanks

There will be some deviation. Rousing the yeast may help but if it doesn't move after a few days, then it's probably done.

Yeah good point with the attenuation of the yeast you used. Try adding your extract late in your next batch and see if it still get a stuck at 1.020.

Attenuation is based a lot more on the fermentability of the wort than the attenuation rating of the yeast. Extract will always be higher in unfermentables than grain. Given that, I'd say you're done, not stuck. For a lower FG, you can sub some of the extract with sugar.

Latest posts

Back