Fermentation stopped quickly!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kejsport

Reaction score
If this beer turns out... It will be a f*cking miricle.

I had a batch self ferment on its own. It was going crazy! It fermented from Mon-Friday. Now it isn't fermenting as far as I can see. Also, the smell has changed from delicious to skunky. I am going to wait this one out regardless, but has anyone ever had a similar situation and how did it turn out? Can skunky smell fade and turn out okay?

If this beer turns out... It will be a f*cking miricle.

I had a batch self ferment on its own. It was going crazy! It fermented from Mon-Friday. Now it isn't fermenting as far as I can see. Also, the smell has changed from delicious to skunky. I am going to wait this one out regardless, but has anyone ever had a similar situation and how did it turn out? Can skunky smell fade and turn out okay?

Self-ferment? Were you intending on using wild yeast? What's your hydrometer reading? Skunky beer is often the result of sunlight/full spectrum UV entering your beer. But it could also mean an infection.

I am going to taste it tonight... I am not going to die am I? the sun may have gotten in, but it is probably just infected.

I am going to taste it tonight... I am not going to die am I? the sun may have gotten in, but it is probably just infected.

Do a couple of searches on here and you will find a lot of people have tasted infected beer and not one of them have keeled over yet. If you do have an infected beer, don't sweat it. Just continue on with your process as if you didn't and just let it sit several weeks longer in the bottle. More often than not the effects of an infections will dissipate with time. But take your hydro before jumping to the conclusion of it being infected. You almost have to try to infect a beer.

Back