Fermentation still active after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outterbanks

Reaction score
I am brewing an ALT Beer(German Brown) kit with liquid yeast. After the first week of fermintation I racked the beer into a second carboy and it is still active with bubbles(about 6 min apart) in the airlock after three weeks for a total of four weeks. Hope this is going to be a good batch. most of the previous brews stopped after 2-3 weeks.

Beer is a clear with a little visable activity on top. Looking for any input.

I highly doubt it's still fermenting after 4 weeks. What is the "visible activity" you see on top?

Take a gravity reading, then another after 3 days. If the readings are the same, fermentation is complete.

Yes, I have been transfering to a seond fermenter after 7-10 days as the fermentation starts to slow down.

I bet it is done. Has it gotten a little warmer? This would cause the air inside to expand and cause bubbling, The best way to check for doneness is with a hydrometer as mentioned. Bubbles can lie!

Bubbles 6 min apart is very little activity. Is this beer the traditional hybrid fermentation profile with ale yeast at lager temps during secondary? If so, then fermentation will be drawn out over a longer period of time due to cooler temps.

Sounds like fermentation is almost complete, and your beer is fine.

Latest posts

Back