Fermentation Stalled. Looking for suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBrowny21

Reaction score
Was brewing a Pale Ale using White Labs San Diego Super yeast with a friend. We left it in the basement for 12 days to ferment. It was only like 60-65 degrees in the basement and we used a space heater in the beginning to keep the room a little warmer. So last night when we went to keg all the yeast was settled and beer looked clear. When we gravity tested the beer it was at 1030, so much higher then wanted. Then we taste tested it and it had a sweet taste to it. So we still kegged it and will keep it at room temperature upstairs for the next 2 weeks. Is there anything we can do to help it ferment more? Thanks for any help.

I would get more yeast, make a starter and see if it finishes out. I think you kegged it too soon as sometimes it takes 3 weeks to reach gravity. Patience is the best virtue a home brewer can have!

Probably should have left it in the primary a little longer and tried warming it up or rousing the yeast and see if it wouldn't get you lower. I would wait a few weeks in the keg and see what happens. Check gravity after a week or so and if its lower just let it go till you reach somewhere around your target FG. If its still 1.030 after the week id'd pitch more yeast.

Back