Fermentation seems quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbass1968

Reaction score
Im doing a sour kit and the instructions spell out primary fermentation should be approx. 1 week, then secondary fermentation with the fruit puree should be started. My cap has already fallen and airlock activity has slowed after only three days. Gravity readings are at present 1.011 down from initial of 1.046. Should I still wait the week or move forward with secondary now?

It's quite normal for things to get very active for a day or two, maybe three and then seem to suddenly be doing nothing. That's just the way it is.

I suppose it is just that the yeast can quickly act on the very easy to ferment sugars into alcohol and as they get to the less fermentable sugars thing start to crawl.

Just be patient.

There are things that go on after the FG is reached. So I'd say at least wait four more days after you have confirmed if 1.011 is your actually FG or not by getting another reading of the same 3 days after that reading.

Though if you are going to move it to a secondary, I don't know when it's appropriate to move it. Or whether SG has any determination to move it to a secondary.

Many of us don't see any point to using a secondary. Most kit recipes still say to simply because they haven't be updated with the latest thinking or that Dogma still prevails.

Maybe they just realize that most noobs are impatient and are just giving them something to do. Though you've been here since 2018.... how much have you brewed?

Some beers with longer ferment times might warrant a secondary IMO. However I've left beer on trub in the primary for over 6 weeks and those were some of my best beers.

Last edited:
I had planned on leaving in primary the whole time, just wasn't sure as to when to add the fruit puree. I want to make sure the sugars in the puree still get eaten up

1.046 to 1.011 in three days is not out of line at all.
You can add the puree any time now and there's no need to transfer to a secondary fermenter.

Sour kit? What are you using for souring?

Generally I too would wait for the primary fermentation to finish, give it at least a week, 2 would be better.
By allowing everything to settle you'd also transfer far less trub and yeast to your secondary, where you'd add your fruit and souring culture.

But with "quick sours" (not mixed fermentations using different yeasts and bacteria) many brewers just add fruit to the "primary," depending on how long you intend to leave it on the fruit.

Sour kit? What are you using for souring?

Generally I too would wait for the primary fermentation to finish, give it at least a week, 2 would be better.
By allowing everything to settle you'd also transfer far less trub and yeast to your secondary, where you'd add your fruit and souring culture.

But with "quick sours" (not mixed fermentations using different yeasts and bacteria) many brewers just add fruit to the "primary," depending on how long you intend to leave it on the fruit.
It was a kettle sour

Back