Fermentation rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemieuxp

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch ever! Pretty cool! It was a Brewers Best Red Ale. I did this on Sunday night and my airlock started bubbling Monday PM. It continued through Tuesday night but this morning (Wenesday) it has already stopped. My local brew guy said that it should take about 7days and then let it sit for an additional 2days. I guess my question is, is this normal or way too fast? Fermenter is stored at 68F and stable temperature.

Thanks in advance for your comment and expertise!

Let it go, it's not done yet. Ignore the airlock and go by hydrometer readings. If you don't have a hydrometer since it's your first go, let it set for at least the recommended amount of time. If it's done it should start to look clear with no floating/ convecting bits of sludge in the body of the beer. Kyle

Thanks for the response Kyle... I do have a hydrometer but I think I will just let it go to avoid any contamination.. I'm in no rush and I think it will just clarify a little more....

Back