Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
This is my first batch in ten years (an amber ale). It has been in primary since the 17th and fermentation seems complete. I will not be doing a secondary fermentation.

My goal is to have the ale ready for Christmas when family comes in.

If the specific gravity is on target and is stable, confirming that fermentation is complete, does it benefit the beer to leave it in primary as long as possible and then bottle it three weeks before Christmas or will the extra time in the bottle if I were to bottle it now be just as good.

The reason why I ask is I am looking forward to getting my next batch going!

Tough to say because time always helps with these things and you are short on it. On the one hand by keeping it in primary for a while longer, gives the yeast some time to "clean up" after themselves. On the other, you don't want to be serving flat beer. What was the recipe? FG and OG? I think the best possible option would be to get some kegging equipment so you can leave it in primary until a day or two before, then force carb, but it is a pricey option.

The beer is going to need to conditioning whether it's in a bottle or in the fermenter. The pros of leaving it in the fermenter are that there will be no need to worry about bottle bombs if you give them another week to make certain fermentation is complete. (I know you are assuming fermentation is complete - but what the hell - let it set). More time on the yeast cake is also better than less. If you wait to bottle until next week you will certainly have drinkable beer with 25 days in the bottle.

I'd leave it in the fermenter as long as possible and allow three weeks in bottles.

I'd leave it for three weeks from brewing. That'll give the yeast enough time to clean up any fermentation byproducts that could contribute to off-flavors, as well as plenty of time for bottle-conditioning.

Welcome back! :mug:

Bob

Yeah, I just made my first brew this past sunday and thought one month was good enough to have it ready by christmas, but now that I've had more time to read up on it, it looks like 6 weeks is ideal, 3 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks bottled. Still, it's my first batch and my buddy will be down from Philly for a few days and I want us to be able to try it so I'm just going to do the fermenting for about 2 weeks and then be able to bottle from 3 weeks. Hopefully it'll taste okay. I'll make sure my next brew gets the full 3 weeks in the fermenter.

Back