Fermentation question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersk27

Reaction score
so i am brewing my first batch, it's supposed to very hoppy, my OG was 1.074 and I used a starter. about 18 hours into the fermentation the cap of my airlock blew and foam was slowly oozing out. I switched the airlock and connected a blow-off tube and everything seems to be working properly. My question is, does this photo look normal? What i am guessing has happened is that the foam is now stuck on the inside of the carboy at the top, the blow off tube is still bubbling every few seconds and there is still a lot of movement in the carboy, guessing that's fermentation.....just need some more experienced eyes to let me know if this is going well or did the popped airlock destroy my batch....thanks for any help offered....

DSCN0657.jpg

thanks! i had a panic moment sunday night when i saw the blown airlock....this being my first batch I wasn't sure what to be watching for.....

Yes, you are in business. Since it is still bubbling there has been a co2 layer protecting the beer. Looks perfectly normal.

That is one seriously filled up carboy! Not surprising that the lock got blown. But it does look like a normal ferment going on...

Cheers!

Back