fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr2low

Reaction score
I did a pale ale yesterday, finished around 2:00 pm. i checked on it last night before bed and the krausen was right up to the top and my blow off was bubbling like crazy. I just went and checked it about an hour ago and the krausen is just about gone, no bubbling, and i pulled the little cap off the bottle cap for the siphoning side and there was no pressure. the last kit i did i could release pressure for 3 weeks. I'm not worried, just curious if this is normal since i have never had a batch seem to finish that quick.

I really doubt it's finished, what kind of fermenter are you using? If it's a plastic one like I use it might be that the lid is slightly loose? Although it's strange that the krausen being so high was died down this fast? Take a gravity reading just to see where it's at, but I wouldn't worry too much. temp could be an issue too

I've had ales ferment out overnight, but usually it's because it's very warm. Hopefully, you've had the temperature under control, though, so it didn't get too hot inside the fermenter.

glass carboy, not sure what the temp is at. its sitting in the basement on the cement floor. its been in the upper 70's here so im guessing the basement is in the mid-upper 60's. the lid seams to be on tight, i actually taped it on because my last beer kept pushing it off, may be time for a fermentation fridge of some sort.

Back