fermentation question, no activity in airlock after 3 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butler1244

Reaction score
First time brewer and poster...

I've been really excited about finally getting to try out homebrewing. I received a pretty good brewing kit for Christmas along with a True Brew Amber Ale extract kit. After researching on here and reading The Joy of Brewing, I figured I was ready to dive in. I brewed Saturday and saw a lot of activity, about 1 bubble per second, but woke up today and there is zero activity. From what I've read, this may be no big deal and there could still be activity going on. The OG was right in line with the kit at 1.044. Fermentation temp is kept between 64-68 degrees with a Thermawrap. Haven't been able to keep it at a constant temperature since I didn't know I needed a digital controller with the wrap. Basement temperature is 60-62 degrees...would that be safe to leave it at or do I keep the heat up? Unfortunately, I do not know what yeast it was that came with the kit...I believe it was Muntons dry yeast.

I did rehydrate prior to pitching. Also, I probably shouldn't have but I panicked and already took a reading from the spigot..it's down to 1.021.

Leave it be. Take another reading in a couple of days. I'm sure all is well. You'll know it's finished when the gravity readings remain constant

Welcome :mug:

Muntons dry yeast works pretty fast. Depending on how "clean" you want your beer to taste, you could wait for another week or two. Or follow the directions which probably say 7-10 days of fermentation.

Thanks for your responses. I'm hoping it comes out well. I did make a mistake and forget to top it off to make sure it's 5 gallons. It's at 4.5 so I hope that doesn't give it too strong of a flavor. When I add the boiled priming sugar could I add more water then or just let it be? At least I'll learn from my mistakes so if it comes out bad it won't be a complete waste!

I'd leave it be. It'll simply have a big higher ABV. No worries

... Basement temperature is 60-62 degrees...would that be safe to leave it at or do I keep the heat up? Unfortunately, I do not know what yeast it was that came with the kit...I believe it was Muntons dry yeast.
the recommended range is 64-70, but this is a very tolerant yeast - my basement has hit as low as ~55 at night and this yeast has kept on working.

I suppose it's not an awful thing to have a higher ABV, especially since it's a low % kit.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll just be patient...although it's very hard to do when it's your first brew!

As far as leaving it at 4.5 gallons goes, I'll just have to cut back on priming sugar? The tasty brew calculator says only use 1/2 cup when bottling an American Amber Ale so I'll follow that based on other posts I read.

Thanks again!

Just updating...

There has been activity since I posted, it's just really slow. I'll be taking another reading Saturday to see how it's progressed.

I need to invest in a digital temp controller, or at least follow some directions in other posts for a DIY temp controller. I have people here checking in cycles to make sure the temp is ok :) My first batch feels like a baby to me haha

Get a fermometer. Its a stick on thermometer like the one that goes on a fish tank. Just stick it to the side of your bucket or carboy.

Back