Fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikafka

Reaction score
Put the beer in the fermenter, after a few hours it went crazy which
Masted for about 24 hrs. Now there is almost no bubbling?
Is everything ruined?

No, patience here!!! Your beer is still fermenting, just because there is no airlock activity or visible swirling in the carboy, the yeast are still working. I would recommend leaving it alone for 10 -13 more days and then take a hydrometer reading.

it's very common for the yeast to go nuts for a short time and then slow down.

How warm is the room where you are fermenting? For an ale your room should be no warmer than 65 F or else the beer will likely be too warm (>70 beer temp is too high).

My APA in fermenter bubbled heavy for 48 hours and then tapered off fast but was still releasing CO2 for 10 more days!

ikafka welcome to HBT. here is a great sticky I read when I first signed up here to help ease my fears of air lock activity/ fermentation...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

Airlock activity is just CO2 leaving the FV. Just because there is no activity doesn't mean fermentation isn't taking place. Sometimes CO2 finds other places to leave (lid seal, etc.) than the airlock.

You should be fine. Bamarooster is right, beer making is a patience game. RDWHAHB!

No, patience here!!! Your beer is still fermenting, just because there is no airlock activity or visible swirling in the carboy, the yeast are still working. I would recommend leaving it alone for 10 -13 more days and then take a hydrometer reading.

yeah, definitely an RDW moment here. depending on the yeast, the wort and the temps, those 24 hours could've been all it took to finish the active fermentation phase. leave it be for a couple weeks (or longer), it'll be fine.

Nothing to worry about what you've experienced that some call active fermentation phase,I call initial fermentation. When this is done,the beer slows or even stops bubbling all together. But it still needs to slowly finish fermenting down to a stable FG. So be patient & wait till that happens.

Yes. Sadly, your beer has been completely ruined. Forthermore, it is classified as hazardous waste and presents a serious health hazard. Here's the accepted procedure:

1. leave it at 65-68F for 3 more weeks
2. Rack to bottling bucket, add priming sugar, bottle and cap, then leave in a warm dark place for 4 weeks.

The material is now sufficiently safe that you can ship it to me. Send me a PM and I'll furnish my home...er ...less hazardous waste disposal facility address.

Back