Fermentation or Kegging Equip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabby

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing beer. I've been at it for several months now. I'm considering my next purchase. Either a conical fermentation container or keging equipment. My question is does the conical really make everything easier and is it worth the purchase?

I would go with kegging equip. myself. I personally have never bottled a batch yet, started home brewing with a kegerator in the garage and bought a corney with my beginner kit. You can ferment in a bucket, but to be able to keg today & drink tomorrow that is nice.

go w/ kegging dude but beware you can nevere have enough cornys

go w/ kegging dude but beware you can nevere have enough cornys

+1 On kegging setup, and I need more cornies! I also ferment in my cornies- I install a 'Sure Screen' from northern brewer on the dip tube, do a long primary ferment, and then force rack it into another keg for carbing/serving.

It depends. Do you want to save time or make better beer?

In terms of fermenting equipment, I think the best thing to do is get a fermentation chamber purchased/built rather than having a conical. The over all quality of your beer will drastically increase if you ferment at proper temperatures. Plus, conicals are super expensive, and if you ask me a carboy works just as well, especially if you're brewing quantity is only 5 gallons.

That being said, kegging is much easier, and quite nice. I went that way first because I thought having my beer on tap at home was one of the niftiest ideas I'd ever had, so I went with it. However, I'm still fermenting in an ice bath to maintain temperatures during fermentation. I know when I get around to controlling those temps better I'll make a higher quality beer.

In summary, I say skip the conical altogether and if you choose either kegging equipment or fermentation equipment, I don't think you can really go wrong, just depends what you're looking for. If I had to do it over again, I would have sucked it up and kept bottling in order to rig up a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber. Even if you get the kegging equipment, I say look into a cheap and easy solution to controlling fermentation temps. There are a few threads already posted about cheap ways to control temps and they shouldn't be hard to find.

It depends. Do you want to save time or make better beer?

In terms of fermenting equipment, I think the best thing to do is get a fermentation chamber purchased/built rather than having a conical. The over all quality of your beer will drastically increase if you ferment at proper temperatures. Plus, conicals are super expensive, and if you ask me a carboy works just as well, especially if you're brewing quantity is only 5 gallons.

That being said, kegging is much easier, and quite nice. I went that way first because I thought having my beer on tap at home was one of the niftiest ideas I'd ever had, so I went with it. However, I'm still fermenting in an ice bath to maintain temperatures during fermentation. I know when I get around to controlling those temps better I'll make a higher quality beer.

In summary, I say skip the conical altogether and if you choose either kegging equipment or fermentation equipment, I don't think you can really go wrong, just depends what you're looking for. If I had to do it over again, I would have sucked it up and kept bottling in order to rig up a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber. Even if you get the kegging equipment, I say look into a cheap and easy solution to controlling fermentation temps. There are a few threads already posted about cheap ways to control temps and they shouldn't be hard to find.

Agreed. If you have the money to buy a conical, you easily have the money to buy a kegging setup and a way to control your fermentation temps. A conical would be really nice to have but to be honest, I don't see how it will improve your quality of beer over fermenting in 2 bukets (I do 10 gallon batches). It definatly won't improve your beer over as controling your fermentation temps will.

Conical MAY make better beer, but kegging will change the way you make beer thus change your life.

I also suggest bottling a few from each batch so you can save them, bring too parties, or give as gifts. Guess what my family is getting for Christmas.

Thank you all for the great advice. I've allready got the stand up freezer with a temp control. So, either way I can control fermentation temp and also use it as a kegorator. I'll go buy my kegging equipment today. Cheers!

+1 On kegging setup, and I need more cornies! I also ferment in my cornies- I install a 'Sure Screen' from northern brewer on the dip tube, do a long primary ferment, and then force rack it into another keg for carbing/serving.

Is there enough headspace in the corny for primary fermentation ??

how is pressure relieved ??

That's an entirely different discussion. Search for "fermcap", and it'll give you some good ideas. The possibilities are endless, but you basically won't end up with a full 5 gallons to drink...more like 4 due to trub/blowoff. If you use a 6.5 gal carboy, this is avoided.

Is there enough headspace in the corny for primary fermentation ??

how is pressure relieved ??

There is headspace- Cornies are actually almost 6 gallons. I don't bother with the fermacaps as posted- I use a spare gas connect, tube, and a bottle with water as a blow off (on the IN post). If you have a lot of hops/grains in your beer, you have to make sure it doesn't get clogged, but I haven't had a problem. After the very vigorous stage, I take mine off, clean sanitize and change the water, and let it bubble on.

There is headspace- Cornies are actually almost 6 gallons. I don't bother with the fermacaps as posted- I use a spare gas connect, tube, and a bottle with water as a blow off (on the IN post). If you have a lot of hops/grains in your beer, you have to make sure it doesn't get clogged, but I haven't had a problem. After the very vigorous stage, I take mine off, clean sanitize and change the water, and let it bubble on.

The cornies I've used have been exactly 5 gallons. 640 OZ is stamped on the side of mine. I fermented apfelwein in them and fifth gallon filled it to the top.

Perhaps I have more boil off then expected- I boil 2.5-3 gallons, and add three gallons to my fermenter- Still air space under gas dip tube. Have to fill one up and measure- All said and done, OG is usually dead on the expected.

Back