Fermentation Lock - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwood

Reaction score
So I lost the little red cap that goes to my standard fermentation lock. I just pitched some yeast and so rather than put the lock on without the top, I went with foil and a rubber band.

Is the top (cap) solely to keep out particulate matter or does it serve another purpose? I'm guessing that I should get a new cap so that when I brew on Saturday, my primary is set up right?

Thanks,

-Ed

I think the cap is there just to make sure the float doesn't fly out. I would also put a couple of holes in the foil. My caps have breather holes.

On the S shaped lock its there to prevent things from getting into the water. Not all brands come with a cap. Some company's don't supply them. It's nice to have but not needed. but a little bit of cheese cloth with a rubber band if you want to. The fancy glass ones don't use them.

Slightly OT, but has anyone had issues fitting the three piece locks into the little grommet in an Ale Pale?

When I try to insert it, the grommet tries to roll up on me.

Back