Fermentation: how long to maintain temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
So I made myself a fermentation chamber using a chest freezer and temp controller. Its working out great except I can only fit two 6 gal carboys in there.

After the initial fermentation is done, (usually about 7 days) I've been taking the carboys out and leaving them at ambient temp of my basement which is around 70. I'm pondering since the fermentation at this point is basically done and all that is left is clean up/condition, is temp control really imperative at this point? If anything I would think a little more temp would help the yeast finish up faster.

Thoughts?

Note: I'm only doing this because I need to get a train going. Once I get a good back supply kegged I plan on leaving them in the chamber for the duration.

EDIT: all beers are Ale.

The majority of flavors the yeast contributes are produced in the initial stages of fermentation (growth phase, which is over in about 72-96 hours) so you should be fine after 7-10 days moving to an ambient temp of 70. As long as the temp swings aren't too wild, you're golden.

I keep my beers at 64-66*F for the first week and a half or so, then take them out of my swamp cooler and let them sit for the remainder of the time at whatever the temp of my basement is (usually 66-70). This time of year though I leave them in the cooler for a little extra time since the entire house is warmer than normal.

This goes against what a lot of people recommend here but I keep temps in the low 60's until final gravity has been reached (usually 5-10 days) then let it warm up to 70s on its own for 5 days to let them clean up, then bottle.

I have found no benefit in an extended primary for normal gravity beers other than maybe a little less sediment in bottles (which I don't care about)

You just don't want to shock the yeast by changing the temp too drastically.
If you're fermenting at say 65, and then pulling the carboy out into 70, that's just fine, and in fact, can be beneficial by allowing the yeast to clean up at a bit higher temp. (you're in essence doing a diacetyl rest)
Much more than 5 degree difference, I'd try and ramp it up over a day or so, personally.

I do this out of necessity. I have a single dorm-fridge I primary in. Once i get close to terminal gravity, I ramp the temp on the controller up to 68-70. It stays there until I need the fridge for another beer. Then I move it to room temp, which in Arizona in the summer is like 78-80*. Beers turn out great.

As said above, regulate your temps well until you are within 90% of your final gravity. From there, it's not as important.

I do this out of necessity. I have a single dorm-fridge I primary in. Once i get close to terminal gravity, I ramp the temp on the controller up to 68-70. It stays there until I need the fridge for another beer. Then I move it to room temp, which in Arizona in the summer is like 78-80*. Beers turn out great.

I do the exact same thing and my beer turns out way better than it did before I had accurate temp control.

The Pro/Con to this is I've found is:

Pro: Beers mature faster, as they are aging at a higher temp the yeast clean up quicker.

Con: Beers mature faster. If you've got a pipeline going, this isn't always a great thing. So long as you have a cold place to put the beer down the road

(My advice is based on my 78-80* room temps living in Arizona.)

As said above, regulate your temps well until you are within 90% of your final gravity. From there, it's not as important.

I am in AZ and I do the same thing for the same reason. :mug:

Back