Fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddibbern5

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to put my fermentation chamber together.
I have a small chest freezer for my future ferment chamber, however cooling isn’t my concern now...
Temps are in single digits where my ferm chamber is located. I purchased a heat mat that I have attached to my carboy now with inkbird controller. Where the carboy is located ambient temp is ~68 and the heat mat is on constantly and never gets above 70.
Is that right shouldn’t it heat it to temp (+2 degrees)
This is the heat mat-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZXOP1C/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_VZTtAb3A8GJVJ

My temp probe is attached with masking tape on the outside of the carboy. Could it be reading ambient temps and the carboy is actually warmer? Or is the mat defective?

I was thinking this type of heat mat would work to heat the fermenter but no way with these temps.
Now I’m looking at a small ceramic heater but have concerns about safety.?

Is a ceramic heater safe in a chamber? Any recommendations?

I am confused. You say the temps are in single digits in your ferm chamber, but you have a carboy located in a room with an ambient 68F?? I don't know what you're trying to brew, but aim for low 60s. I try to shoot for 60-66F depending on what is brewing. There is no need for a heat mat if your ambient temps are 68F.

I initially thought you were lagering due to the mentioning of single digit temps, but that would be too cold!

That heat mat only produces 21 watts of heat. It may be that the large surface of the carboy is dissipating the heat being added with only a 2 degree rise. Try insulating the carboy with a coat or sleeping bag and see what the temperature is then.

I use a brew belt and am able to get my beers up to 80F. You said you're holding the probe with masking tape. I bet it's reading some ambient temps too. Try putting some sort of insulator between the probe and tape (bubble wrap, folded towel, etc). Just something to make sure it's only reading from the fermentor.

I am confused. You say the temps are in single digits in your ferm chamber, but you have a carboy located in a room with an ambient 68F?? I don't know what you're trying to brew, but aim for low 60s. I try to shoot for 60-66F depending on what is brewing. There is no need for a heat mat if your ambient temps are 68F.

I initially thought you were lagering due to the mentioning of single digit temps, but that would be too cold!
Sorry for the confusion- My Fermenation freezer is located in a three seasons room where the temps were in single digits at the time. Now they are in the mid 40's it usually runs about 10 - 15 degrees warmer than outside.
I will be lagering with the ferm chamber but I will need a heater to maintain the 60 degree temps needed and I'm afraid that the heat mat I have won't cut it. I was looking at a ceramic heater but have safety concerns.

Thanks @RM-MN & @myndflyte for the advise. I'll toss a coat around it and see what happens.

Use a heat belt or two. They warm up the carboy directly, instead of the ambient air. I have eight of them, great stuff.

Check your yeast packet, it will tell you where it is "Optimum" on the package of where it likes to work.
Styrofoam is a good insulation to maintain whatever temp you are shooting for, be it with a heating pad or heat straps. For example; styrofoam piece for a floor, styrofoam line box, (Slide box over top with bottom open) heat pad down the side or better the heat straps.
I use one of those Fermometer Adhesive Fermenter LCD Thermometer for Home Beer Brewing & Wine for temp. They are a sticker, stick good and for what seems to be a long time. about 5.00 delivered on ebay

I bought a heat wrap from reptilebasics.com and have been very happy.

Also, with only masking tape, it is very possible ambient temperature is affecting (or effecting, I never remember which) your reading. Insulate the probe with something. Piece of insulation, towel, old t-shirt, but something.

Back