Fermentation help for imperfect oatmeal porter brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eruppel

Reaction score
Good morning, I cooked up an Oatmeal Porter late on 1/28 using this recipe (more or less): http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/68633/oatmeal-porter

I pitched Safale US-04 dry yeast without rehydrating, as the instructions asked for on the bag itself and online (though I know there is much debate on dry/liquid yeast and rehydrate/starter/dry pitch). After no evidence of fermentation in the airlock after 24-48 hours, I pulled the airlock to get a glance inside. It looked like a thin layer of krausen was on top, with a more cake-y krausen buildup on the sides of my plastic fermenter bucket. It did smell kind of beer-ish though, which I took as a good sign. Since there was no activity in the airlock whatsoever and the krausen was much thinner than I had seen in previous batches (pale ales, not porter), I grabbed some more Safale US-04 and pitched it on the third full day (1/31), thinking it had been sitting mostly dormant and at risk of infection or staling without healthy yeast.

Still, after another 24 hours I didn’t see evidence of fermentation in the airlock and figured it was time to re-sanitize everything and take a hydrometer reading. My OG when I pitched the first yeast was 1.054. My reading on 2/1, 28 hours after pitching the second packet of US-04, was 1.016 (this would be 4 full days after brew date). The way I see it, this batch is fermenting and it has already hit close to the target level.

So now my question is – how long do I let it sit in the fermenter and when should I bottle? I don’t have an extra bucket (except the bottling bucket), so it will be sitting in the Primary Fermenter this whole time. I have seen estimates for several weeks, but this is only a ~5% brew so it’s not as strong as some of the stouts and porters I have read about that suggested a month in fermentation.

My ancillary question, then – is this evidence that my fermenter is busted (deteriorated, etc.) and I need to get a new one? It’s a hand-me-down from my dad and I’m not sure how long he used it and how long these last. When I push on the lid it does bubble some in the airlock, but I can’t help but wonder why this is my second batch in a row that obviously fermented based on hydrometer readings, but had absolutely NO evidence of airlock activity. The last one was a pale ale and it fermented fine but then did not carbonate almost at all and I don’t know why. It could have been that I tried to sanitize the bottle caps in water that was too hot and messed up the seal. I’ve done a few pale ales, but not many, and in my inexperience I don’t want to over-think things and ruin batches by worrying too much.

If you are using a bucket for primary (you referenced a lid), then they often do not seal well enough to allow all the CO2 to go up through the airlock. That's why you saw no visual evidence. Fermenters don't go "bad" unless they are literally infected. But stop opening it! It's clearly done by now, and you don't want to let any more oxygen into the vessel.

Wait 2 full weeks - you're almost there - and then bottle. Make sure you move the bucket to where it needs to be in advance, like now, so that you don't unsettle the trub.

You can leave it in the primary for a long time I've left beers for over a month with no ill effects, but like Mcknuckle said stop opening the fermenter you are leaving it open to infection and oxidation.

RDWHAHB your beer will bee fine, remember the airlock is not the best sign of fermentation.

Buy a new fermenter with a better sealing lid if you really need to see airlock activity. Of course, a better course of action, IMO, would be to ignore the airlock (or ditch it completely; I haven't used one in years for primary fermentations) and use the appearance and gravity of the beer itself to determine the progression of fermentation. Airlocks lie, the beer never does.

I had read in another forum that good-grade plastic can deteriorate over time. Additionally, this is my fifth brew and I saw strong airlock activity on the first three, but then nothing on this one, so it really seems like something must have changed.

Bottling today so we'll find out the results here soon!

I had read in another forum that good-grade plastic can deteriorate over time. Additionally, this is my fifth brew and I saw strong airlock activity on the first three, but then nothing on this one, so it really seems like something must have changed.

Bottling today so we'll find out the results here soon!

The rim to lid connection is probably just getting a little worn. Food grade plastics don't degrade very rapidly unless they are left out in the sun. You could just replace buckets every three to five years if you are worried.

My experience with US-04 was it wasn't very vigorous. I just tried the US-05 and got a nice vigorous fermentation with bubbles and all in 12 hours. I might try with US-04 again, but I'm starting to think its the yeast.

Back