fermentation hasn't started yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
Okay, I just posted this to the Midwest forum as well so apologies in advance - but I need a little help. I brewed a hefe last night and 24 hours later no airlock movement. I know the temp was well below 80* when I pitched. Can it be too low? Temp in the room where it is sitting is 63-64 degrees. Pretty sure sanitation is not an issue. What to do? Warm bath? Move to warmer room? Hope I can save this sucker . . . thanks all! Oh - and yes I aerated well.

AHU

:eek: Okay - sorry dudes. Guess I jumped the gun. Two hours ago I sat and watched that airlock for a good minute without even the slightest movement. Now it's bubbling its little heart out. I didn't touch anything. Just looked at it. Now it's fermenting. Maybe I willed it happen . . .

Anyway, sorry for the freak out. Never happened to me before.

AHU

I guess this poses a good question though. How long should one wait without airlock movement before he really should freak out?

AHU

72 hours is a good rule at 65F. I like to keep my ales around 75F until the yeast are done growing and the bubbling starts.

AllHoppedUp said:
I guess this poses a good question though. How long should one wait without airlock movement before he really should freak out?

AHU

Bubbling of an airlock is dependant on having a perfect seal on the fermenter, something that doesn't always happen. I use other clues such as the formation of a krausen, decrease in SG, temperature rise, etc.
To answer your question, I don't even think twice about a 72 hour lagtime- if I'm using a dry yeast that has not been proofed.

agree w/ David 42...72 hoursis crunch time.

the yeast was probably a little chilly asnd needed a warm up. it's always better to be at the lower end of the yeast strain ferm temp though. it'll work out great!

A starter can always help with lag time. This way the yeast is "awake" and ready to "work". I use liquid yeast and still make a starter 95% of the time.

I'm doing my first winter time ferment. I was worried that it was too cold in my cellar. When I first got it down there the other day the temp in the carboy was about 61. It took a little longer than normal to get going, but after about 16 hours I was getting a good bubble every 6 seconds. This morning the temp was only 57 when I got up but it is bubbling every 3-4 seconds.

I have seen a number of posts here where people say they brew their best beer in the winter. I hope they are right.

Well, for me it's easier to ferment at cooler temps in the winter due to the overall house temperature. Most ale yeasts are said to have their best flavors <70F which is my ambient house temp in the winter, so no extra work required.

On fermentations, I agree with the above. I always make a starter which proves my yeast is viable thereby removing that variable from the equation. Also, watching for signs of fermentation is more reliable than watching the airlock.

Back