Fermentation got very warm, still repitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC89

Reaction score
So I have a beer currently fermenting. Its a loosely based off of Rogue DeadGuy. I cultured some pacman yeast from a few bombers. I could not find thel heater I normally use so I went with a similar one I had around. I woke up this morning to find the room at 101 and the fermentor at a solid 80 or more. The room was 50 degrees at 10pm and I suspect it reached 70 by midnight and 80 by 2-3am . I caught it about 10 the next day and immediately cooled the room and the carboy with a wet tshirt and ice packs. I took a sample and it had already dropped from 1.074 to 1.058. I didnt pick up any off or fruity flavors from tasting but it was still very sweet and would be hard to tell. I was planning on reusing the yeast for an ipa. Can I reuse it? If there end up being esters does that mean the yeast has mutated or can it be reused at the proper temp?

You can absolutely re-use yeast that have been heated up, unless they have been heated to the point where they are dead. If you can make a good starter from them, then go ahead and re-use them.

My $.02

EDIT: No, the esters don't mutate them. Heat can lead to mutagenesis, but not at a noticeable level in a non-laboratory setting. UV light is far more likely to mutate them significantly.

Back