Fermentation Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
I just received my small fridge and inkbird for a fermentation chamber. Should I take the lamp bulb out located in fridge? Obviously UV not good for beer...but not sure about light from this bulb. Only comes on with door open of course

It won't hurt it all that much for just opening the door. Unless you open the door to check on the fermentation process hourly...or by the minute...haha. I had previously taken out the bulb in one fridge...but now my new fridge is for keg serving. My chest freezer that I use as my chamber obviously has no bulb...so it's a non-issue.

If you have enough natural light to see what you're doing, and if it makes you feel better, you can take the bulb out.

Your incandescent bulb in the refrigerator puts out very little UV light and since it will only be on when the door is open it won't make any difference. Just opening the door and letting in any sunlight will do more than that little bulb.

Purple/Blue/Green light (part of the visible spectrum) can also cause skunking. It's not just UV.

I was just looking into this a few days ago. Based on what I've read, LED bulbs produce the least amount of UV (almost none). If you have an incandescent bulb and want to be extra careful, it might not be a bad idea to swap it for an LED bulb.

Back