Fermentation Fridge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gboyce71

Reaction score
I bought an old fridge off craigslist that is a top freezer/bottom fridge. I can ferment 2 carboys at one time but am wondering if anyone has taken out the section between the freezer and fridge to make it basically one big fridge only. I can then do up to 4 at a time if I want to. I use a thermostat to keep temps where they need to be so that should not be an issue. The concern I have is the temperature controller and light for the fridge are both mounted on this piece. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure there are no cooling coils in that space? Since you only need to keep your beers cool while the initial ferment is going on do you really need to fit 4 carboys. My beers spend 4 to 7 days in controlled temperature and then I take them out so the yeast are encouraged to finish.

I have an chest freezer and it's set to about 61*F and my fermenters stay there for like 3-4 weeks. But what was said about coils in the section between the 2 halfs is a good one. Take care and don't screw it up

I was hoping some had already done this project as I drilled a hole in my Keg fridge to run the Co2 line and manages to hit the only wire bundle back there. If I tried to hit it on purpose I would have missed everytime :) So had to buy new keg fridge and don't want to piss wife off anymore now.
Speaking of keg fridge do most people just keep the C02 in the fridge with the keg and if so how do you get an accurate reading on the tank? When mine get cold the regulator basically tells me it time to order c02

We keep our CO2 outside the fridge, drilled a hole to insert the lines and then caulked it up to seal it.

There won't be coils in that section, but that is most likely where all the controls are for fridge and freezer. If you are DIY savy, and since you are using an external thermostatic control, you could electrically bypass the freezer control (in an added junction box) and do away with that section. Expect it to be a bit of work though.........Worth it? Your call.

Back