Fermentation freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyredshed

Reaction score
I have an aluminum shed outside and was wondering if anyone would know the answer: If I hook up a temperature control to the freezer, will it run constantly because its in a unheated environment? Will it maintain a 68 temperature?

it wont constantly run because it will shut off when it reaches your temp. also put the probe end in water to keep temp fluctuations from making unneccesary power usage. the freezer will probably work more if not in an a/c environment but it would not continuously run

Don't forget that you will have a need for both cooling and heating to maintain your temperature. My fermenter is in the garage where the temperature fluctuates between 25 deg. and 85 deg. and I have to heat in the winter and cool in the summer. Some days they each run to keep the temperature uniform.

Thanks for the assistance. My next question is does the freezer have the capability to heat? I was going to purchase a digital control that ranges from freezing temperatures to 85 degrees.

Your freezer won't be able to heat but if you get a dual temperature controller you can add a lightbulb or heating pad inside the freezer to heat when necessary. With the dual temperature controller you plug the freezer into one outlet and the heating element into the other outlet. The controller will then turn on and off the heating and cooling side as necessary.

Back