Fermentation Fluctuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've read a few posts regarding temperature swings, and none of them quite answer my questions so I'm going to ask!

I'm brewing an IIPA, about 9.5% according to brewmaster (intended to be a bit lower, but I didn't account for the water lossed in a 90min boil compared to 60). My temps are fluctuating between 60-66 degrees, safale 05 yeast. Are these swings to high? If I leave it out in my apartment, I bet I would be hitting 70-75 degrees. I've rigged a cold water bath to keep it at the 60-66 degrees (literally... in my bathtub), but the problem has been that my tub drain leaks slowly, it drains to about 2 inches every 8 hours. When I fill it up it brings the wort down to 60-62 (62 when it was at the peak, and 60 now that its slowed down 5 days since pitching), and when it empties it gets up to about 66 (even at peak, the two inches of water kept it there).

For the future, do i need to figure out something better? Is a 6 degree fluctuation too much?

My other question is in regards to this brew specifically. I plan to allow it a month in primary, before switching it to a keg as a secondary. I'd like to drink it the first weekend in june, and plan on dry hopping it for the last week of march.

What would be a good temp for a beer like this during primary and secondary, both the same, different temps? Does a higher temp during these phases do anything better than a low temp? Or vice versus? I have access to a garage that will have 10 degree temp swings over the course of the day starting in april/may, but it will also keep the beer in the mid/low 50s until then, and probably 50-60 degree come late april/early may. Is this too much of a temp swing?

Thanks!

Also - the stated temp readings are from the stick on thermometer. According to the thermometer I stuck in the water bath, the water was in the high 50s.

Back